I need a router solution.

Started by
5 comments, last by monsterenergy 16 years, 7 months ago
I just moved into a house with some friends about a week ago. It's a great place to live and I'm having a lot of fun, the only problem is they have a little wireless-G Linksys router. It works fine of course, and with 5 people the internet connection really isn't that bad, but I need some ports forwarded to my 'puter, but all the slots to do this are being used. Are there any simple home routers that allow for a much larger amount of ports to be forwarded? I was thining of setting up a desktop computer with Windows 2k3 server and using the NAT and firewall with that to set up my own router, but we are going for cheap and something that we can leave on all the time(power consumption, noise). Thanks for any suggestions!
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Advertisement
You should look into the Linksys WRT54G series. You can flash them with a 3rd party firmware and have pretty much all the control you need over it. If you buy one new, make sure it's a WRT54GL since the new WRT54G series isn't compatible.
Your current router doesn't have an option for port forwarding anywhere? Out of curiosity, what's the model number?
The router he has does have port forwarding, but I think he needs more then say 20 port forward option. If you want you could use the dmz function and have anything that is requesting your external ip address will route to the ip address specified in the dmz setting on the router.
My mistake. What the heck exactly are you doing, having so many ports forwarded, if you don't mind me asking?
They are currently using all of the slots to forward ports to thier own machines,one of them has an FTP/HTTP server, two of them use MS Terminal Services while at work to access their home computers, and then theres a few for games.

I think theres like 10 or 15 slots, and they were using all of them. One of them gave up one of their slots for Supreme Commander so I can get 3390 forwarded to my computer for MS Term Services(the listening port on the machine is a registry key, that took a while to figure out/find) that all I really need, but it would be nice to have more.

It doesn't appear that theres and easy solution to this... I can't flash my roommates router without his approval, and I doubt he would. Those things are like $75 and it would suck to turn it into a door stop.

............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
SONICWALL TZ 170 25 Node

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement