What is the best General Game Coding Book?

Started by
2 comments, last by ShCiPwA 23 years ago
I have been learning OpenGL for about 2 weeks now and i have read heaps of tuts on the net on OpenGL and displaying the graphics to the screen, i have also read the "OpenGL Super Bible" and i am now looking for a good book\tutorial on the structure of game code (The inner workings of the games) Thanx, <<--- ShCiPwA --->>
----- ShCiPwA -----
Advertisement
I''d suggest getting The Black Art of 3D Game Programming by Andre Lamothe..don''t let the title fool you, the first half of the book is devoted to general game programming, the second half is devoted to the 3d side..there are a few other good books but this is my favorite, it covers the basics for:

Graphics
AI
Physics
Sound
Networking
3D math

"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
Thanx for the tip but what graphics platform dose it use?
i just read 700 pages of open gl and i dont want to the read an other book that is going to use direct X or something

Thanx, Shcipwa
----- ShCiPwA -----
Well . . . it covers communicating directly with hardware (in dos!) It uses the standard VGA communication system. It covers 320x200 and 320x400(his custom mode z) 256 colors, and uses some inline assembly. Everything is software-rendered(the 3d part). If you''ve been using opengl you might have to think about some of the concepts for a sec before you understand them fully. Lots of the code is obsolete but the structure/comments are modern enough.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement