Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

griffenjam

programming contest suggestion

Hey, I was thinking it would be cool to have a monthly programming contest. It should be aimed at newbies, and should be relativly easy so newbies can do it within the month. I don''t have much time right now to try to do it myself, but if I could get some help with ideas and judging I would setup a website for it (unless someone else wanted too). This is just an idea I had at work, if you like it say so, if you could help a little, say so, if you thinks it dumb/already happening else where, say so. Jason Mickela ICQ : 873518 E-Mail: jmickela@pacbell.net ------------------------------ "Evil attacks from all sides but the greatest evil attacks from within." Me ------------------------------

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''m interested, sign me up. You could have newbie, intermediate, and advanced contests, hehe. Good idea!

Well, I''m glad about the quick replies.
I was thinking about 3 levels of difficutly, but as a twist on that, it would be the same project for all three levels.
That way newbies can see what esperianced people do with the same problem.

First, I need ideas for the first contest. Like what should it be?

Second, I''m suggestin that all the "game" code should be made available, but if you have a engine that you don''t want everyone to see you don''t have to send that. Just make sure your engine calls are easy for newbies to understand.

The idea is they (we) can learn by looking at the code, but if a newbie can''t figure out what a call is doing then the code is worthless for him/her.

If your interested please send me your e-mail addy.

Jason Mickela
E-Mail: jmickela@pacbell.net
------------------------------
"Evil attacks from all sides
but the greatest evil attacks
from within." Me

O.k. I just had an idea for the first contest.
Tell me if this is too easy.

Do you remember the game combat for the Atari 2600?
Well, if you don''t it was basically a 2D tank game with a
top-down view. 2 tanks were in an arena the size of the screen and each tank had to shoot the other before getting shot themselfs. There were walls that you could not shoot or drive through. It was VERY simple and had no AI. There were various modes of play but for this you would only have to make 2.

The first is the "normal" mode, the second is "bounce" mode.

In normal mode the bullets just stop when they hit a wall, in bounce mode they bounce off and keep going for a few seconds.

This is just and idea tell me what you think.

Jason Mickela
from within." Me

a programming contest sounds gr8. I like the idea of just the one challenge. Do you mean for beginner you just have to make the game as best you can, and for advanced you have to go a step further and add something new and innovative to the challenge?

I like the idea of making a simple game. You''d have to keep it very simple though, partly because a lot of people like me are in the middle of a game project (don''t want to get too distracted), and partly because it''s a bit hard for newbies to get into straight away if it''s too big a challenge.

good idea!

yes, you''ve got it exactly.
The newbies would just have to make it work.
They should just fulfill the basic requirment of the contest.
The mid-level should add a few things, maybe a cool GUI and sound. The upper level people should add cool FX.
They should try to add stuff that really makes it look polished.

Thats what I''m thinking.

Jason Mickela
from within." Me

As a newbie I''d like to say it''s a great idea. A very fun thing to do and some great motivation.

I''d also love to have the chance to see some more experienced people tackle the same problems I''m tackling.

Could I perhaps suggest open judging? Depending on the scale of the contest you could have everybody evaluate everybody else''s project, then if you loked at somebody elses project and saw something you liked you could talk to them about it or look at the code...

Or maybe have advanced people judge newbie''s entries and they could make suggestions and then have newbies judge advanced people''s entries....

Anyway great idea, please keep us informed!

Well, I''m glad people like the idea, now, does anyone have a little web-space available that I can put a page up on?
I could sign up for a geocities acct. but if this is going to have a bunch of enteries the space will probably fill up fast.
I guess if I don''t find someone to host the site Ill cross that bridge when I come to it.

Ohh yeah, the site being the web-site for the competition.
----

I like the idea of open judging, depending on how many people sign up we will see how the best way to handle that is.

Also, look a few posts up and tell me what you think of my idea for the first contest. If you think it sucks thats cool, it''s just something I tought up at work. But I also need ideas.

Lastly, I need to start collecting e-mail addys of people that are interested, and of people that think they might be able to help out a little (I will need art in a bad way, I''m no artist)
Also, I would like to hear from people that would consider themselfs to be in the advanced catagory that would like to help judge and just give advice, as I''m pretty much a newbie myself.

E-Mail to griffenjam@hotmail.com

Jason Mickela
from within." Me

I like this idea a lot. I''ll admit, I haven''t actually read all of the Threads... But I would like to see the contest take the form that follows:

One goal is given... Say the Combat clone... We have 3 levels, Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced... Each level will be asked to do their interpretation of the contest goal.

We will need to have an initial contest with no classes to determine who fits in which class. This way we can guage the range of experience of the users in this group so that we know what to call novice, what to call intermediate... etc.

We need to find someone to Captain this ship... It MUST be organized if it ever is to work.

Daniel Piron

what about advanced programmers ?
*snif snif*
well i can help judge or set up the whole contest!

Arkon
http://qsoft.cjb.net

Dont put the contest at geocities, that''s is really bad and cheap. I can''t stand those banners.

Ask gamedev or flipcode, if you could have some space. I''m sure they''re more than willing to help you out.

And it must be someone really dedicated to organize it all. Otherwise none will bother to send stuff to a sloppy contest.

I suggest making a tic-tac-toe game.

A good start for newbie and a great challenge for expert to make it attractive!

What u can do with it:
- It can be graphical, or text-based
- play with AI, human, or thru LAN/Internet
- save game, load game, save replays.
- time based, scores, top 10 scores
- power-ups, new modes (4x4, 5x5 instead of 3x3)
- or add some story on it (e.g. A king propose a challenge to
the public... who ever win, they got reward (cash)... then
u can buy powerup....blah blah)

It''s all up to u! I can''t wait to see some super-duper tic-tac-toe game.

I think the contest is a great idea. Maybe the Combat clone is a bit too much difficult for a first try... I prefer the tic-tac-toe...

But I don''t have much time to code it... too bad :-(

NONO

Even if I did consider myself a newbie still (I think of myself as intermediate/advanced now, does that make me conceited ?), I wouldn''t have the time. Maybe you could some code already written for them, then have them build off of that? I could still help with judging or something like that, I always like to see how much people can do .

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/

I''m a complete newbie by any measure, but I''ll help out with grunt work if you need me. Also, sign me up for the contest when it gets going

email jrwallac@uwaterloo.ca plz

nice, ive been looking for some regular competiton page, but they dont seem to be appearing

i think, instead, just so things arent overwhelmed for the organisers, is have a simple challenge every month, say the first saturday or soemthing. and rather than have 3 levels, just have the challenge aimed at newbies/intermidite/expert, and force the source to be avaible.

you could provide some base code or something maybe if that would make it more simple,

that way everyone can still enter, no matter what level theyre on :]

and maybe like hotornot/ratemyrack etc, have a user ratings as well as a selected number of judges etc

id be happy to help, with both entrants, judging, (a perl/php site if you need it, cant provide hosting tho) design etc, maybe some base code too (only opengl for me tho im afraid, i can do c/++ delphi tho)

but yeah, im interested (email below, or icq me: 13548542 )

red@deadpenguin.org
www.deadpenguin.org

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wow, I''m kinda suprised about all the replies.
O.k....I like the idea of base code that newbies can use.
But I don''t have the time to write it.

Also, every contest has to have a name, I am drawing a blank.
What would be a cool name?

I am trying to get a place to host the site, and I am going to start making it today. If I can''t find someone to host it I will just try to find a free host that doesn''t have banners (anyone know of one?).

I guess the current concensus is that the first project will be Tic-Tac-Toe, I have no objection to that, so I guess that will be the first project. Since I don''t want to worry about odd dates I guess I will try to have the first contest start on 5-1-01 and end on 5-28-01, that give a few days to judge and get ready for the next contest. No fair starting now.

But seriously, unless someone want to donate something there wont be any prizes, except the knowledge that you may gain.

I just thought, I would like a free site that supports ASP, that would make mailing lists/contest entering/other stuff easier.

Jason Mickela
from within." Me

Du u know da OpenGLchallenge

i think it''s kinda weekly contest but opengl only

www.oglchallenge.com

hell yeah, that would r0x0r >=)
you should put together a web-page.

if there was a contest, u would have to make some rulez, like only one entry per person, and only one person per entry (ie no teamz).

tic-tac-toe is a liitttlle simple, even for n00bs, but i like the idea of a tank simulation contest.

ive never played an atari b4 (long live amiga!!!), could somebody fill me in on the game u are talking aboot?

thx

Good stuff to clone in various levels.

Mario Brothers
Tic-Tac-Toe
Tetris
Pong
Combat
Asteroids
Space Invaders
Final Fantasy Battle

(Super) Mario Brothers - Simple physics system with tile collision. This can be extended to tile based scrolling.

Tic-Tac-Toe - Rules governed by information stored in a 2D array... Needed later for collision detection.

Tetris - Some where between Tic-Tac-Toe and Super Mario... The current state of the well full of tetris blocks is a 2D array... we need to know when the currently falling piece has collided with the blocks now in the well.

Pong - Simple Physics system using velocities and position vectors. Object to Object collision. Good material for experimenting on presentation.

Combat - More simple physics ala Asteroids except that the rules of movement are different and fewer objects are on screen.

Asteroids - More object-to-object collision... physics involving all derivations of an object''s position (velocity, acceleration.) Physics nearly as advanced as Mario, but with fewer rules.

Space Invaders - No physics, very little if any... object-to-object collision detection crucial.

Final Fantasy Battle - You are basically making a calculator that figures out when a player''s character goes and how much damage is dealt by given combinations of fighters and their target''s defense. This is mostly an excercise in graphics and presentation, and a VERY important user interface. Decent rules for combat happenings are a must.

Just a few ideas... take ''em or leave ''em.

Daniel Piron

I like all the ideas that I''m hearing.
I should have a page up in a day or 2. As I haven''t
been able to procure any web-space it will be on geocities.
I still need a name for the contest.
"Monthly Porgramming Contest" just doesn''t have a ring to it.
and "griffenjam''s Montly Programming Contest" isn''t any better.
But If I don''t get any sugestions that''s what I''m going with.

Thats all I got for now, as soon as I have it I will post a link to the page.

Also, does anyone have a ready make Guestbook type thing?
I could write it in ASP but I don''t want to/don''t have time.
I want to be able to track contest enteries.
If not I''ll write it when I have time.

Well, thats all for now.

Jason Mickela
from within." Me

Hey, why not an official GDNet sponsered coding contest. They could come up with a coding effect, or small program, and each month people could enter and somebody could be declared the winner. Maybe through a poll, or the GDNet staff could vote for winner? Could have a link on the front "Contest of the Month" or something. Well i guess this is similar to filpcode though, but so what. Anyhow, just a thought! Later

Maybe there should be a standard library that everyone should use, for example 100x100 or 320x200 array of pixels, a sound buffer, keyboard and mouse input. That''s really all. Make it as simple as possible. For example:

2D_buffer init(widht, height)
registerKeyboardCallback
registerInputCallback
registerSoundCallback
flip
shutdown

And let the coder do everything himself, no restrictions, no nothing, just code and have fun. Don''t care if it doesn''t uses the computer the optimal way. That isn''t as important as actually produce something.