programming contest suggestion

Started by
49 comments, last by griffenjam 22 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I was thinking it would be cool to have a monthly programming contest. It should be aimed at newbies, and should be relativly easy so newbies can do it within the month. I don''t have much time right now to try to do it myself, but if I could get some help with ideas and judging I would setup a website for it (unless someone else wanted too). This is just an idea I had at work, if you like it say so, if you could help a little, say so, if you thinks it dumb/already happening else where, say so. Jason Mickela ICQ : 873518 E-Mail: jmickela@pacbell.net ------------------------------ "Evil attacks from all sides but the greatest evil attacks from within." Me ------------------------------
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
Advertisement
I''m interested, sign me up. You could have newbie, intermediate, and advanced contests, hehe. Good idea!
-- master_ball --------------------------------student seeking future game dev career, advice welcome
If it goes down I''m in, it should motivate me

"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."
"There is humor in everything depending on which prespective you look from."
I''m interested, sign me up. You could have newbie, intermediate, and advanced contests, hehe. Good idea!
Well, I''m glad about the quick replies.
I was thinking about 3 levels of difficutly, but as a twist on that, it would be the same project for all three levels.
That way newbies can see what esperianced people do with the same problem.

First, I need ideas for the first contest. Like what should it be?

Second, I''m suggestin that all the "game" code should be made available, but if you have a engine that you don''t want everyone to see you don''t have to send that. Just make sure your engine calls are easy for newbies to understand.

The idea is they (we) can learn by looking at the code, but if a newbie can''t figure out what a call is doing then the code is worthless for him/her.

If your interested please send me your e-mail addy.

Jason Mickela
E-Mail: jmickela@pacbell.net
------------------------------
"Evil attacks from all sides
but the greatest evil attacks
from within." Me
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
O.k. I just had an idea for the first contest.
Tell me if this is too easy.

Do you remember the game combat for the Atari 2600?
Well, if you don''t it was basically a 2D tank game with a
top-down view. 2 tanks were in an arena the size of the screen and each tank had to shoot the other before getting shot themselfs. There were walls that you could not shoot or drive through. It was VERY simple and had no AI. There were various modes of play but for this you would only have to make 2.

The first is the "normal" mode, the second is "bounce" mode.

In normal mode the bullets just stop when they hit a wall, in bounce mode they bounce off and keep going for a few seconds.

This is just and idea tell me what you think.

Jason Mickela
from within." Me
a programming contest sounds gr8. I like the idea of just the one challenge. Do you mean for beginner you just have to make the game as best you can, and for advanced you have to go a step further and add something new and innovative to the challenge?

I like the idea of making a simple game. You''d have to keep it very simple though, partly because a lot of people like me are in the middle of a game project (don''t want to get too distracted), and partly because it''s a bit hard for newbies to get into straight away if it''s too big a challenge.

good idea!
yes, you''ve got it exactly.
The newbies would just have to make it work.
They should just fulfill the basic requirment of the contest.
The mid-level should add a few things, maybe a cool GUI and sound. The upper level people should add cool FX.
They should try to add stuff that really makes it look polished.

Thats what I''m thinking.

Jason Mickela
from within." Me
As a newbie I''d like to say it''s a great idea. A very fun thing to do and some great motivation.

I''d also love to have the chance to see some more experienced people tackle the same problems I''m tackling.

Could I perhaps suggest open judging? Depending on the scale of the contest you could have everybody evaluate everybody else''s project, then if you loked at somebody elses project and saw something you liked you could talk to them about it or look at the code...

Or maybe have advanced people judge newbie''s entries and they could make suggestions and then have newbies judge advanced people''s entries....

Anyway great idea, please keep us informed!
- Flanders -
Well, I''m glad people like the idea, now, does anyone have a little web-space available that I can put a page up on?
I could sign up for a geocities acct. but if this is going to have a bunch of enteries the space will probably fill up fast.
I guess if I don''t find someone to host the site Ill cross that bridge when I come to it.

Ohh yeah, the site being the web-site for the competition.
----

I like the idea of open judging, depending on how many people sign up we will see how the best way to handle that is.

Also, look a few posts up and tell me what you think of my idea for the first contest. If you think it sucks thats cool, it''s just something I tought up at work. But I also need ideas.

Lastly, I need to start collecting e-mail addys of people that are interested, and of people that think they might be able to help out a little (I will need art in a bad way, I''m no artist)
Also, I would like to hear from people that would consider themselfs to be in the advanced catagory that would like to help judge and just give advice, as I''m pretty much a newbie myself.

E-Mail to griffenjam@hotmail.com

Jason Mickela
from within." Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement