Questions

Started by
15 comments, last by yaustar 16 years, 7 months ago
Greetings everybody. Well, I have always been interested in programming and I now think it is time for me to learn a programming language. Therefor I am going to ask a couple of questions. #1 - I wonder if Visual Basic is a better for me to use as a new programmer to make a 2D game? #2 - Is it possible to make 3D games through Visual Basic? #3 - Which language will supply me with the best codes? #4 - Is Visual Basic a lot more easier to learn and to make a game? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
(1) VB.NET is fine. VB6 is old, and since newer versions are free, it is not a great choice. Python or C# are also good choices.
(2) Yes.
(3) That's a human factor, not a language factor (e.g., you write the code, not the language, so you determine the quality of the code, not the language).
(4) It's easier than a lot of other languages, like C or C++, certainly.
#1: I would strongly recommend trying c# instead. It is really easy for beginners, and there is more material available for it on the web (tutorials, libraries etc.). It is also used widely by pros and has a c-like syntax, which will make it easier for you to learn c++ or java later.

#2: Yes, by using managed DirectX.

#3: I am not sure if i correctly understood the question, but if you are considering the availability of libraries, i guess most code is written in c, c++, java and c#.

#4: It is considered an easy language, but IMHO, as i stated above, there are better options. Another con of VB is that it is too MS specific..

Most experienced users in this forum seem to recommend either c# or python for beginners. You can write opengl in python (pyopengl), and there s also PyGame, a python game library which is popular.
I appreciate the replies. Thank you very much.
Now, I got some more questions :)

#1 - Python, is it possible to make really good games?

#2 - Which will be the most difficult language to learn? C# or Python?
#1 Yes, see Civilization 4 and Eve Online for examples. Both of which used Python extensively.

#2 Arguable. Choose one and stick with it.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Thank you very much!
I'm going to learn Python. Looks quite interesting ;)
Actaully a really embarrassing question, but I really got to ask.
Where do I download Python? I tried to download it, when I opened it I got a document looking almost like Notepad and one Console.
Is it supposed to look like that? ;o
I would suggest Python and the Pygame library, found at www.pygame.org

Best of luck
Still looks the same..
I want it to look like this:
http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=pythonMayerPyGame2&fromSeriesID=47
What you downloaded is the python interpreter and libraries. It will allow you to run any python program that you might encounter. It can also run python programs that you write (usually .py files). By default the windows distribution of python comes with a simple editor or IDE that you can use to edit python programs. This is called IDLE and is likely the program you have encountered. It works quite well but is a little unusual to get used to.

What you have posted a screenshot to is Eclipse - a large java based IDE. There is a pydev plugin that allows it to do python editing. I recommend against Eclipse because:

1. It's really big (hundreds of megs to download

2. It's really confusing if you're not familier with it

3. While it's an amazing Java IDE it's not really very good for python

For editing python code I recommend either a simple syntax highlighting editor like scite or one of the smaller python IDEs. I'm rather fond of PyScripter though I haven't been using it very long.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement