Need help on Linux installation!!

Started by
8 comments, last by cMADsc 22 years, 12 months ago
Hello, I have just purchased Linux Red Hat 7. I am trying to do a dual boot with it. I will have Windows 98 and Linux. The problem is when I get to configuring my monitor setup. My first pc I brought was cheap, so you can not expect the best. The monitor that came with it does not have a name. It is just registered as Plug and Play. I have no manual on the monitor. So I try to do a custom settings for my monitor. Although, I think I put in the wrong info. When I probe and test X (something I forgot but it is X) I get errors. These are the only problems. Please help. ----------------------------- "There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do." "...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
Advertisement
Well what is your monitor capable of(resolution? color depth?)?
I find monitors pretty easy to set up its usually some video cards that are the problem(Like the Diamond Stealth III S540).
Though you should try something like Standard VGA or Super VGA with at least 640x480 resolution and 50 - 70 refresh rate...
Usually the basic settings work for all monitors....
My video card is a Geforce 2 MX and Linux detects it. I will retry the monitor settings. I hope it works thanks.

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
Things are working a little better now. I have Linux installed but now I do not know what to do? I can login but after that I get to the $ prompt and I am lost. Sorry but the documentation is not good. I did see on a website to type in "startx", i did that but still nothing really. I am still in dos. I have installed as a workstation but I do get an error that no server can be found. Should I reinstall as server. I also installed gnome, kde, and games. Help please!!

Well that''s strange ... startx should work.
You might want to try typing ''X'' or ''XF86_SVGA''.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Sounds like your X server ain''t runnin.

First, try a ctrl-alt-F7 (someone correct me if that''s not the default X virtual terminal on RH). If that doesn''t work, try ctrl-alt and every other F key. If none of that does any good, go back to ctrl-alt-F1.

Next, as root, try typing "telinit 3". I doubt this''ll do anything, but it might.

Next, read your /var/log/XFree86.#.log file where # is whatever number is there. In that file, you might be able to find an error message that should help you figure out why X isn''t working.

Oh, and if none of this works, or you''re just lost, boot into Windows and IRC to irc.openprojects.net and then go to #linpeople and ask for help. They''re usually pretty helpful (though that might not be the correct channel, but they''ll point you to the correct one).

Good luck!

-ben.c
Your system isn''t setup to run X at boot.
Type setup and at the end of the X Server Configuration it will ask if you want to start the X server when the system boots and you say yes. startx is what you should run to normally start a X server........ Also note that the shell IS NOT DOS!!!
The Unix Command line was before DOS(DOS was a WEAK useless copy off of the shell and had nearly no features).
If you get just $ then it doesn''t sound like you are running bash. Type echo $SHELL and see if it prints /bin/bash.
If you type startx and get something like
bash: startx: command not found
(or sh: startx: command not found or the like) then you have not properly installed X(Try looking in /usr/X11R6/bin to see if it''s full of files like X and XF86Config and XF86_SVGA).
KDE and GNOME are just window managers, interfaces for X but X is what really drives the graphical interface and it''s what is really needed. Don''t try a server installation, that installs not much and is meant for computers that won''t do much more than serve http and ftp on the internet.
Hi
$ doesn''t mean you aren''t running bash, it simply means you aren''t running as root.

Secondly I did not understand why you did a WorkStation install when really you should have done custom and modified the distribution to suit your needs, but well thats up to you.

Try custom monitor - I think I have seen it in Redhat once, but as I don''t use RedHat I am not sure, although be careful not too give too high values else it will fail to run X Windows, go from low to higher values till you can get the maximum.

The channels in OpenProjects :-
#linpeople as said before
#linuxhelp
#linux
#redhat
#slackware
#debian
Almost all famous distributions
and many more
Hello from my world
I went and brought me a book on LINUX. Its my X server I think. On my pc my video card is a Geforce 2 MX and my monitor is a no name. I always get the error to reconfigure my video card.I tried stand VGA and Super VGA for my monitor setting. On my box it had 4.0.1. and on www.xfree60.org it said that 4.0.3 supports Geforce MX. I think I need to download that patch 4.0.3. I always get a error when I try to probe or start X server.Video card is detected, though. Also, I went back and did a custom install. :-) I will try again when I get home for school.

Redhat 7.0 was out before XFree86 4.0.3 Find a few Xfree86 mirrors and see if you can download XFree86 4.0.3

joeG

joeG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement