Sign in to follow this  

Game Engines

This topic is 3731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I looking for good game engine. I notice that Unreal cost is $350,000 and I found another one "DX Studio" which looks nice and it cost $760. anyone knows somethign about this game engine? can you advice about good and pro game engines which the cost is no more than $5000??? Thanks VBDC

Not exactly an engine, but why don't you try Microsoft XNA? it's free and helps making game making much easier, it supports both 3d and 2d in directx and there's tons of documentation, and Microsoft is pushing it so it's getting more and more viable... And it works with c#, in visual c# studio express

Since you have $5000 and want to use C# I would strongly suggest you take a look at Unity at www.unity3d.com it costs only $1499. You can only use the engine on Mac OS X, but it can build Mac OS X standalone apps, Windows standalone apps, and web players. You could invest in an Apple computer with the remaining money you would have left over from buying Unity.

The languages it uses is javascript (there own, fast implementation), C#, and Boo. It uses the Mono framework also, so you have access to .NET.

I have a general question that I will express here, since this topic made me think of it:

Why are so many people convinced they need to get an engine to make a game?

a) Why can't they make their own engine?

and

b) Wouldn't a game be (in theory) faster if it were not built around an engine?

Quote:
Original post by Aken H Bosch
I have a general question that I will express here, since this topic made me think of it:

Why are so many people convinced they need to get an engine to make a game?

and

Because making and debugging an engine can take years as a hobbyist or as a professional. Do you want to make games or engines? If you want to make games why reinvent the wheel when there is likely already a solution for you out there that is likely better then you can make?

Its the same reason you don't write your own string class if you're using C++/C#/etc, others exist that are 99% better, faster and highly tested then something you could make.

A lot of professional game studios now purchase game engines from the few biggies that make them (Quake4/Rage, Unreal 2/3, CryEngine, etc) they also purchase things like SpeedTree, networking engines, physics engines for the same reasons... Save time and resources working on making GAMES.

Someone on these forums has an awesome article titled "Make Games not Engines" (or something simular, I really need to bookmark it). It's a good read and so true.

Now if you're interested in making engines, like myself, then do that.

Quote:
Original post by Aken H Bosch
Because they want to make a game, not an engine.
Quote:
No.

Yeah, NeoAxis, it even has all the source code for a "game" which demos all the functionality.

It's a unified system, too, btw. So no need for writing in all the glue code to get disparate renderer, physics, audio, etc systems together.

Use an engine that costs nothing unless you want to sell your game. Start out as a mod so can make all the game you want with HL, Quake, Unreal, etc... for free. You only have to purchase if you want to sell.

Hi,

You can also combine different engines to good effect. Here is an example:

- Irrlicht graphics engine which is free and has .NET language binding (and a free scenegraph editor).

- Irrklang sound engine which is free and has .NET language binding (and is fully compatible with Irrlicht).

- A physics engine (Ageia, newton, tokamak to quote a few, but I do not know wether they have .NET language binding - but there are tutorials to integrate these physics engine with Irrlicht)

Ghostly yours,
Red.

Quote:

Wouldn't a game be (in theory) faster if it were not built around an engine?

Probably yes but in practice it would be of no use
Even if you get started from windonw programming rather than direct x or opengl your game would (in theory) be faster but no programming guru , nowdadys , would dream to do something like that
However there are still a lot of game programmers who are against the game engines claiming that they are slow and non flexible
It is just an emotional issue

This topic is 3731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.