Sign in to follow this  

Should I make a mod first?

This topic is 3746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive been wanting to get into gamedev for some time now but I cant seem to make up my mind about should I make a hl2 mod or use a engine like irrlicht to make my game I have c++ programming experiance not alot but I know how to use vectors,files, functions and so on and I make simple programs with GUI's using a libary. My design doc for the game is complete its about 15 pages and has every single detail in it. So should I make a total conversion mod or make a stand alone game.

Modding Half-Life 2 has the advantage that you all ready have a full setup toolchain and fully working game to start with. However the HL2 SDK Code is poorly documented, and just generally rather messy. So as a inexperienced C++ programmer you may have a lot of trouble getting what you want done. I reckon Irrlicht is the better option. You'll need more work before you'll actually be able to produce levels/models etc and get them doing things, but you won't have 500'000 lines of undocumented C++ code that is a total mess to deal with.

Quote:
Original post by Monder
Modding Half-Life 2 has the advantage that you all ready have a full setup toolchain and fully working game to start with. However the HL2 SDK Code is poorly documented, and just generally rather messy. So as a inexperienced C++ programmer you may have a lot of trouble getting what you want done. I reckon Irrlicht is the better option. You'll need more work before you'll actually be able to produce levels/models etc and get them doing things, but you won't have 500'000 lines of undocumented C++ code that is a total mess to deal with.

I agree. The Half-Life 2 SDK is really messy and I do not like it one bit. I wouldn't do this unless your not afraid of the horror of the undocumented code. I have used Irrlicht myself and I like it. I believe there is a 3D Map Editor out there for it, but don't quote me.

Or, you could just go ahead and try the SDK out and see if you can deal with it.

Chad

This topic is 3746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.