Sign in to follow this  

The DirectX Utility Library (DXUT)

This topic is 3742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i was wondering what is the easiest way to learn DXUT. On msdn ive been to the DXUT programming guide but i dont really understand it. It's not very specific. The reason why i want to learn this beacuse i was told its like a pancake mix for creating windows where as Win32 is like making pancakes from scratch. I hope someone can help i really want to become a proffesional game developer someday and im determined to learn.

The pancake mix analogy is somewhat accurate. See for any DirectX application you make, you have to handle things that really have nothing to do with rendering 3D graphics. You have to create and set up a window, handle input, etc.

What DXUT does is it provides a series of classes and functions that forms a framework from which you can quickly build a simple DirectX app. It has classes for a camera, for handling input, for creating window, for creating sliders and other controls, and for rendering text. The idea is that you can get your app running quickly without having to mess around with all of the lower-level Win32 stuff for creating and handling you window (DXUT uses the Win32 calls inside its classes and functions).

If for now you're just looking to learn Direct3D, DXUT is good because it will let you jump right in. However at some point if you want to make a serious windows app, you'll need to learn how to use Win32 on your own.

This topic is 3742 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.