• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Scripting

This topic is 3899 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After reading through the Game Scripting articles on GameDev.net, I find I'm still a bit confused. What I've learned: - Scripting makes introduction and re-introduction of content easier! What I haven't (yet) learned: - If there are AAA scenarios in which scripting would be a bad idea? - A source of example (bits and pieces) of game script? - How you connect the script and the engine? If anyone has a good resource or article on this, or just has a little insight, that'd be great. In my Googling I've found the topic a bit sparse.

Advertisement
1) If your scripts turn out to be a performance bottleneck, you may want to move to compiled code instead. Also applies if the language isn't powerful enough to do what you want, or not enough of the engine is exposed.

2) Depends on the language, host engine, and how they're connected.

3) See #2.

LUA is a quite good scripting engine which has alot of documentation.
Search google for "lua tutorial c++" or something like that.
(Should answer q. 2 and 3)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!