• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dizzy_exe

OpenGL problems with vsm implementation in DirectX

This topic is 4107 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, I have been playing lately with variance shadow maps. In order to improve shadow quality I split the scene around the camera into 4 areas and in my pixel shader I choose the right split by computing the distance form the center of the screen to the current shadow pixel ( I think the technique is called cascaded shadow mapping). I have implemented this method in OpenGL and in DirectX. But in DirectX I get these weird seams when I transition from one split area to another. The shaders are identical. If I turn off VSM, the problem disappears, so I don't know if is a DirectX issue or a VSM one. Here is a screen shot of the problem: Any insight is highly appreciated.

Advertisement
You have to make sure that when you're transforming screen coordinates to texture coordinates you offset them by -0.5 * screenDimensions.

Thank you for your suggestion, but it didn't worked. The shadows are filtered bilinearly, so there is no need for mapping pixels to texels directly.

Quote:
Original post by Dizzy_exe
Thank you for your suggestion, but it didn't worked. The shadows are filtered bilinearly, so there is no need for mapping pixels to texels directly.

Ahh, thats too bad. That's just what immediately pops into my head when people have trouble with OpenGL -> DX conversions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!