3D Studio Max 2.5

Started by
1 comment, last by Michael31 24 years, 3 months ago
I'm working on a 3D FPS. Does anyone know of any source code or tutorials on how to load and display objects and models from 3D Studio Max.I'm using VC++ 6 and DirectX 7...Also if anyone is interested in joining this project please feel free to respond.It's in the early design stages.I'm looking for 3D programmers, Graphics artists and Musicians.My email address is mpaul@ptdprolog.net
Advertisement
I'd suggest making an exporter for 3DS that will save objects into whatever proprietary (or not) format you use in your game. With R3 it can be done fairly easily using MAXScript, but I have no experience with 3DS before that (I stuck to Lightwave because I couldn't stand the old UI... still think those panels are just barely on the good side of butt ugly)
You can export .3DS objects from 3DSMAX, then convert them to .x with the conv3ds utility (included with the DX7 SDK). The SDK also have samples explaining how to load and display those .x files. The problem is the conv3ds utility don''t seems to support all the features from 3DS objects. Also, you can get a plug-in for 3DSMAX which allow to directly export to .x files, but this one doesn''t work for me (look at the "conv3ds" thread in the DirectX forum)

Crousto

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement