Sign in to follow this  

[web] ASP.NET Advanced Caching

This topic is 3745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In order to fine-tune the caching process to my needs I use VaryByCustom="custom" directive in output caching. Now, I can return different key-strings to store different caching versions, but I want that in certain scenarios that caching to not to happen. What is the best way to not cache a particular version of a page?! Is there someway I can return a "special" key to invalidate caching? [Edited by - zaidgs on September 16, 2007 5:17:47 PM]

Thank you capn_midnight for the link... I already know how to do the things described there, but I think I might not have been clear about what I want.

Consider the example they give in that article about caching different pages based on "Language" item found in a cookie. Check the code snippet they provided:

public override string GetVaryByCustomString(HttpContext context, string arg)
{
if (arg.ToLower() == "cookies")
{
HttpCookie cookie = context.Request.Cookies["Language"];
if (cookie != null)
{
return cookie.Value;
}
}
return base.GetVaryByCustomString(context, arg);
}

Consider now the scenario that you want English, French, and German pages to be cached as expected, but that Spanish and Chinese pages to never get cached... How would I do that?

This topic is 3745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.