VB 2005 Express vs. VC++ 2005 Express

Started by
4 comments, last by instinKt 16 years, 7 months ago
I have both. I've used both. It takes me FOREVER to get anything done in C++, I just don't have the language down yet. (Despite trying for more than a year, ugh.) I seem to remember that VB was much faster for prototyping than C++. But maybe it's just me. I have an idea I'd like to prototye. Nothing fancy, mostly text and such. Question is this. Should I simply create my prototype in VB since I'm more familiar with it OR should I suck it up and create it in C++ since it'll help me learn the language more, for down the road (even though it will mulitply my development time severely). What's your opinion? Thanks!
Advertisement
The question cannot be answered by us. It's about what you want. Is your priority to make that prototype? Then use the most familiar tool(VB). Is your priority to learn C++ in the process? Then use VC++. It's up to you, there is no right or wrong answer here.
Thanks Mike. I'm not looking for a right or wrong answer. Just opinions. I remember people used to be very vocal about one language being "better" than the other but these two particular versions with the Express IDE's seem to be very close in final build performance. I'm just wondering how people feel about it is all.
You are comparing 2 completely different languages here...

Visual Basic is faster for prototyping stuff if you are talking about a GUI based app, because that's what it's designed for. VB is simple, and integrated seamlessly with the GUI components.

C++ doesn't have GUI components built in. To create a GUI you need a library like MFC, GTK+, wxWidgets etc.

C++ is a very VERY large language and very complex, it will take at least a few years for you to understand it properly and even more for you to use it correctly. So if you want to prototype something quickly, stick with VB.

Member of the NeHe team.
As mikeman has already said, it really depends on your own priorities. If you're more interested in getting the prototype working you should use the language you're already familiar with (in this case VB.NET). If you want to use it to learn another language (in this case C++) then you should use that, with the understanding that your prototype's quality may potentially suffer as a result and that you'll almost certainly take longer to complete the project.

Note that I fully recommend the exact same approach for your final product as well as for prototypes; unless there's some reason your chosen language is insufficient for a given task you should absolutely stick with what you have experience with for any task where productivity or the quality of the final product is important.

- Jason Astle-Adams

As a side note, the people being vocal about which languages are better than others, usually do not have any idea what they're talking about and generally should be ignored.

Each language has it's strengths and weaknesses, and which one is better than the other highly depends on what the project is, who is developing the project and many many other factors. There is not one "God" programming language that is suited to every possible situation.

This means, in regards to your question, does VB suit what you're intending to do? If it's the language you're most comfortable in then unless there's a specific reason NOT to use it, that's the one for you. Unless of course you wish to learn a new language ;) however that does not sound like your intent.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement