Sign in to follow this  

Problems With SDL.

This topic is 3743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK first of all any help on this is greatly appreciated! Basically, i am a complete beginner to the World of Games Development. At the moment i am working on sample programmes, and very simple 'Games' that are helping me get a better understanding of C++. Alot of tutorials and threads on this forum as well as others have helped me greatly as well. Back to the intial reason for this thread, i have been following the tutorial on another website which is really well layed out and presented, and i have followed it as religiously as i can, but still cannot figure out what is wrong. I am using Dev-C++ as my main IDE, and have instlled all the necassary files needed to install SDL on my windows machine. I have installed all the 'lib', 'include' and 'bin' that i was supposed to in the corresponding directories in the Dev-C++ folder. But when i come to do the simple programme that follows on from the tutorial, there are alot of errors, but my main concern is the header: #include "SDL/SDL.h" And when i try to compile the code, it says something along the lines of ''#include "SDL/SDL.h" Doesn't exist'', i have tried the re-installation of SDL and followed the tutorial many many times, i appear to be doing everything right. Does anyone know what the problem is? Can anyone make any suggestions? Thanks alot, as said above any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers, Carternator

I don't know how Dev-C++ works exactly, but generally when you get an error message that says 'such and such a header does not exist', it means that the compiler is unable to find the header in question.

Some good questions to ask would then be:

1. Where is SDL.h?

2. Is it actually in a folder called 'SDL'?

3. Has the path to the header been added to the project's search paths?

I'd also suggest posting the exact text of the error message, and perhaps a link to the tutorial you're working from.

maybe you need #include <SDL/SDL.h> instead of #include "SDL/SDL.h" since you have probably placed your SDL header files in a directory the preprocessor searches(for example the include folder of your compiler's). let us know and maybe link the tutorial!

good luck

Quote:
Original post by blueapple
Also try #include <SDL.h>

Thanks alot for all your help :)
This was the problem because when i try and compile now, it isn't showing an error message anymore for the header, it is however showing lots of errors still, but thats not for this section. ;)

Once again thanks alot,
Carternator

This topic is 3743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.