Sign in to follow this  

Really understanding header file content

This topic is 3746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been reading a lot of examples in order to better understand the C++ programing language, and I have encountered the use of some code that I am unfamiliar with.
std::cin.ignore().get();
Seeing this code made me realize that there are a lot of things about the std files that I don't know. Therefore I spent quite a bit of time searching both here and through google in an attempt to read about and learn the contents of the <std?????> files. Perhaps I wasn't using proper search criteria, but the descriptions I found on many sites including msdn, cplusplus.com, and even wikipedia didn't provide me with the details I could use to learn how to get the most out of my header file includes. Rather than ask you all to tell me what this line does I am going to ask, "how can I read the code so I know what functions are available to me, and what they do?"

Quote:
Original post by becklighter
Perhaps I wasn't using proper search criteria, but the descriptions I found on many sites including msdn, cplusplus.com, and even wikipedia didn't provide me with the details I could use to learn how to get the most out of my header file includes.

All those sources with the exception of msdn are generally rubbish. Also reading C++ standard library source code is hell in itself.

Refer to The C++ Standard Library. This book is a must if you ever wish to claim that you actually *know* C++.

This topic is 3746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.