Sign in to follow this  

Rate my game design: Mercenaries

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Mercenaries An instance based MMOFPS Overview: The basic idea of this game is that the player is a mercenary-for-hire. The player starts with a basic weapon such as a pistol or knife, and can choose to do missions to earn money to get additional weapons. These missions can be done either solo, or with additional players depending on the mission. Some advanced missions will feature player-vs.-player combat, while most missions will be player vs. AI. Missions are included with the game, and if the game is popular more missions can be added via downloading a patch, or downloading within the game. Realism: I envision two play modes – regular and hardcore. Naturally, you must start over when you die in hardcore; while in regular death has no penalty. I also envision a game play style similar to Rainbow 6 or Police Quest: SWAT 4, where guns do a lot of damage and fire quickly with a very high (instant) bullet velocity. Weapons are all based on real weapons, with things to purchase such as bazookas, hand grenades, sniper rifle scopes, body armor, silencers for specific weapons, different uniforms, and possibly other things. A third play mode, easy, could give the players additional hit points and decrease the difficulty of the AI and remove player-vs.-player maps. Progression: More advanced maps are “unlocked” as you win on easier maps and gain money and experience. The experience gives your character a military rank that shows how good you are to the other players, and unlocks maps. Maps: Missions include staples such as “assassinate a person” or “eliminate all threats.” Missions may also include kidnapping or rescuing hostages, taking one or more items, protecting a person or people from harm, and possibly other things. Maps should be designed to allow several approaches to winning, including teamwork with other players that are on your team, blasting away, sneaking in, and possibly other solutions. Some missions may be geared towards a certain approach, and may require limiting casualties. The more mission goals you complete, the more money and experience you receive upon completion of the mission. Some randomness should be included in each map, as much as the programmers can create. This would vary from dropping objects on a randomly generated terrain to randomly placing enemy AI players. Well, how is it? Someone hire me, please! I'm willing to relocate. I also hate my current job of teaching computers to disabled people. (They mostly watch YouTube)

Your character is persistent across different instances. This will reduce server load (instances could be hosted on one of the players' machines and verified by the server) while still allowing persistent interaction between characters. I guess it's only 1/2 mmo, which is probably a good thing from an implementation perspective. Actual games would be limited to 16, 32, or 64 players depending on technology and implementation.

Quote:
Original post by aersixb9
Your character is persistent across different instances. This will reduce server load (instances could be hosted on one of the players' machines and verified by the server) while still allowing persistent interaction between characters. I guess it's only 1/2 mmo, which is probably a good thing from an implementation perspective. Actual games would be limited to 16, 32, or 64 players depending on technology and implementation.

While the definition of MMO might be a bit open to interpretation, I'm pretty sure 16, 32, and 64 players is what a lot of FPS are starting support for multiplayer without calling themselves MMO. Those numbers just aren't that large and leaves the game rather limited on interaction.

Crank it up to several hundred a server, and than we'll have somewhere to talk.

Yes, this doesn't seem to be MMO any more than Diablo 2 was. I'm not saying that is a BAD thing, and actually it sounds like a good game concept, but if you don't already know, you have a lot more work to do before this is a design.

if you would like help refining your idea into a complete design, why not start with just how the controls work? How do your characters move, and how do you actually fight?

Good ideas, keep going...

Weapons really dangerous to players is a good way to create realism and suspense in a game.
I recommend a small number of tough opponents. Mission setups themselves and other human players is one obvious solution. The important multiplayer aspect is how to assign human players to different missions:
Downloadable levels where mission and player assignment is done by the master server, may work fine to create balanced gameplay.

It may be even done so that it gives the impression of a one big world shared by all players. Where the world is actually a lobby system and maps are separate sharing perhaps only some persistent information (who died on the mission etc.)

It all depends on your ultimate goals and the general project feasibility and assets. (Lone wolf, beginner team, advanced team, superhuman intelligence... etc.)

-Osmo Suvisaari
waspgames.com

How will you reduce the incentive for players to just begin laying into each other? If everyone spawns and just starts fighting, how do the players get to enjoy your quests? Why shouldn't they just start fighting when they spawn?

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.