Sign in to follow this  

Advanced Templates VS2003 Question

This topic is 3745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All - I'm designing a templated "Sequence" class, and it won't let me compile a particular line of code...
template <class T, class NUMERIC=float>
class SequenceEvent;

class Sequence
{
    typedef std::vector<SequenceEvent<T, NUMERIC> > SequenceContainer;  //compiles fine

typedef std::vector<SequenceEvent<T, NUMERIC> >::iterator  SequenceIter;  //Compiler Error

// typedef std::vector<int>::iterator  SequenceIter;  //would compile fine....

};

I know that the templated typedef namespace stuff is pretty hard on the compiler, but this should be legal C++. I'm basing my design off of some of Andrei Alexandrescu's code. It's not compiling under VS 2003 or VS 2005. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get around this? The basic idea is that I want the Sequence to be able to return iterators to SequenceEvents in other Sequence functions, but I want to be able to swap out the container tha the Sequence uses fairly easily. Thanks for any help!

Try:
typedef typename std::vector<SequenceEvent<T, NUMERIC> >::iterator  SequenceIter;
A Google search for, say, 'c++ typename dependent name' will most likely lead you to an explanation of why the typename keyword is necessary here.

You need the typename keyword.

class SequenceEvent;

class Sequence
{
typedef std::vector<SequenceEvent<T, NUMERIC> > SequenceContainer; //compiles fine

typedef typename std::vector<SequenceEvent<T, NUMERIC> >::iterator SequenceIter; //Compiler Error

// typedef std::vector<int>::iterator SequenceIter; //would compile fine....

};

This topic is 3745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.