How does one 'hack' into ROMs?

Started by
13 comments, last by JWalsh 16 years, 7 months ago
Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this. But I was curious, after checking out this video, it kinda ignited an interest in learning how to hack into a game and mess around with the code. I'd like to know what software/knowledge I would need to hack into say, pretty much any SNES/Genesis game. Thanks in advance. :)
Advertisement
not too sure of the legalities / forum rules about this but i dont think its something that your gonna get too much of a response about

but you would need to reverse engineer it and edit it in very low level code, although saying that it may be worth googling for apps that can edit specific elements of games, dont think youll get much response here
http://stowelly.co.uk/
I believe you don't hack ROMs as such, but what gets loaded or is stored in RAM.

Another way is to do it in an emulator, where you can change ROM contents arbitrarily.

There's boards dedicated to this type of topics, so finding those would be your best bet. I don't know any off-hand.
If you are interested in learning how to do it yourself, there's a lot of reference docs here.

You actually don't need to know anything about rom hacking to make something like that, there are level editors for a lot of the more popular games.
Hmmm, I remember seeing a thread like this where someone posted something similar, and they're rating dropped to like zero Lol (maybe not zero, but I can't remember completely). Be careful, hacking into games isn't a very good topic for a Game Development community. Especially with the topic of ROMs. You very well could be asking someone on this forum that has developed a game for SNES how to hack into it...

Just a word of caution.
"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool
You should see if you can get the source code for a SNES emulator. You need the understand the SNES architecture. An emulator is not illegal or so I've heard but ROM files are illegal for sure. I assume people who have made emulators are so familiar with the low level workings that they can do whatever tricks they wants, even modify the ROM file or create a fresh one.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by cemedias
Hmmm, I remember seeing a thread like this where someone posted something similar, and they're rating dropped to like zero Lol (maybe not zero, but I can't remember completely). Be careful, hacking into games isn't a very good topic for a Game Development community. Especially with the topic of ROMs. You very well could be asking someone on this forum that has developed a game for SNES how to hack into it...

Just a word of caution.

Modders are part of the community, and they are hacking the original game to pieces. There's a lot to be learned from reverse engineering and hacking in general.

For example, knowing how games are cracked is very helpful when designing an effective anti-cracking system, or which there are a handful of success stories.

Understanding how resources look after they've been deployed allows you to improve your packaging.

And when it comes to network gameplay... Most severly underestimate, or completely misunderstand how smart the bad guys are, and how easily they'll circumvent your protocols, or even reverse engineer internal server functions.

But there's black hat and white hat. And understanding the difference between the two is vital.
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Quote:Original post by cemedias

Just a word of caution.

Modders are part of the community, and they are hacking the original game to pieces. There's a lot to be learned from reverse engineering and hacking in general.

For example, knowing how games are cracked is very helpful when designing an effective anti-cracking system, or which there are a handful of success stories.

Understanding how resources look after they've been deployed allows you to improve your packaging.

And when it comes to network gameplay... Most severly underestimate, or completely misunderstand how smart the bad guys are, and how easily they'll circumvent your protocols, or even reverse engineer internal server functions.

But there's black hat and white hat. And understanding the difference between the two is vital.

Don't get me wrong, I understand this. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was against it. I just wanted to note (depending on the circumstances) it could be illegal to even download the ROMS (depending on the ROM I think) let alone modify the code for it. I'm not against doing it for learning purposes, I was just giving a note of caution towards it.
"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool
I believe ROMs are no different from any other form of software. Just as it is illegal to download a commercial game it is also illegal to download a ROM image. That is unless the software/image is released under some form of licence allowing it.
Quote:Original post by instinKt
I believe ROMs are no different from any other form of software. Just as it is illegal to download a commercial game it is also illegal to download a ROM image. That is unless the software/image is released under some form of licence allowing it.

Things get really tricky here.

There's basic licenses, such as EULAs, either explicit or implied. Those are least problematic if used for personal purposes.

But then there's other set of laws covering intellectual property in general, and in combination with DMCA it results in some very nasty and very convoluted legalese.

A rule of a thumb for these things is: Do whatever you want in your home. But never give this to anyone else, in whole or in part. Even then, there are laws that, if they could be enforced, would make just about everyone who has touched any digital component an international criminal.

But key thing is: never distribute anything. In any way, shape or form, in part or whole, unless you're in possession of a written, legally authorized permission to do so, including the exact means of distribution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement