Sign in to follow this  

Design doc for Engine

This topic is 3743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for an overall 3D engine design, very basic. I'm not looking for code, but rather a UML or just plan text boxes of some sort. It should include networking (server/client architecture), and all the other good stuff. I'm asking because I don't want to leave anything out, and I'm curious to see where inputting data from the network would come in line with the rest of the processes that frame. Ie. Is the first thing that comes in data from the server to tell the player where he is, or is it to receive keyboard input? Stuff like that. Any links would be helpful, or if someone could spend 2 minutes to help me design a basic, strong foundation to get me started. Again, I'm not looking for any code. -heythere

There is no hard and fast method for doing anything in an engine, otherwise there would be just one or two for each situation. There are several books available about game engine design/implementation that are quite well written.

Think about what is the most important requirement(s) of your engine. There is usually a trade off between using different methods so you have to decide what is most important and design around that. If your doing a multi-player game then you will probably want the graphics to be fairly simple so that you do not have a large latency between connections and all players can keep a high frame rate.

There are many many ways of doing network games (have a look on gamedev and google). The maximum number of players is also very important for design considerations as MMOs require a different design to handle large numbers of players.

hope this helps

This topic is 3743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.