Robert Jordan dead

Started by
10 comments, last by Avatar God 16 years, 7 months ago
Well, apparently yet another cult figure died today. This Time Wheel of Time author Robert Jordan. http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=90
Advertisement
I was worried about this happening after hearing about that illness he got. The Wheel of Time may have become quite verbose, but I still enjoyed it in a way. Hopefully whoever finishes it does a good job.
Quote:Original post by mtw
Hopefully whoever finishes it does a good job.

Wouldn't hold my breath, it seemed to be a horrible mess even before the original author died.
Damn, I was hoping there would be some kind of conclusion. The Wheel of Time occupied more hours when I was in middle school than I'd like to admit, so I'm kind of bummed that Rand may not get to do his Jesus ting and die to save us all.
Eric Richards
Thats what happens when you get bogged down with hyper-detailed side-stories for money, and refuse to progress the main plot. The last book was what, the same size that the previous one, but only encompassed a couple of days ? Now we wont know how its all supposed to end.
Drat !

Oh, son of a...! I'm very sorry he died, as is generally the case with people who do so, but geez! I'm sure most of you have a very good idea of how much time it takes to read his freaking books, and I'm a bit pissed that I won't know how it was supposed to end. I hope someone writes one more 400 page book that completes the entire plot and ties off all the loose ends. I'd buy it.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
NOOOoooo!!! thats really terrible!! the universe is EVIL!! Robert Jordan wasn't allowed to die until he finished his books! Thats like letting someone write a huge book and not publishing the last chapter! What if J.K. Rowling died before the last harry potter was written?

So... that makes me wonder about the way people should live life. We all know Robert Jordan's books were each around 1,000 pages and it must have taken a hell of a lot of time to write more then ten books. I can imagine that as his books got more popular, he got more pressure from the publisher to hurry up and write faster which creates stress and sucks up more of his time, thus reducing his health and working him to death? (all guess work from me)
I wonder...how would have he lived his life if he had instead had a near brush with death and lived on? ...Sort of like that part from "Fight Club" where the convenience store clerk fears for his life...
I know a guy who owns a painting business. Just recently he had a heart attack which made him realize the fragility of life so now he stopped sweating about the little stuff and instead makes it mandatory for everyone to go golfing with him once a week to just enjoy life.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I feel sad for Robert Jordan if he spent too much time working to not take the time to live. Make sure your life has a good balance between work and quality of life.
Having been a big Whell of Time fan for a while now when I saw this whilst flicking through digg earlier today I was blown away. Especially considering that his progress with his illness had been going fairly well up till now.

Fortunately as far as the story goes if you read his blog on DragonMount.com/RobertJordan you will find out that he spent a few hours one day telling the complete story and ending to his wife and Wilson

Quote:MOL is going into the word processor and onto audio tapes almost daily. Not every day mind you, because the medical fight takes first priority. But, he told you he’d finish and he will. Fact is that it has been finished in his head for years. During a recent family sit around, he became the Gleeman and told the bones of it ALL to Harriet and me. You read that right, I did say ALL. Don’t ask, ain’t telling. Two and a half hours of story telling by the Creator himself went by in the twinkling of an eye. Truly magical. All I can say is WOW! Best stuff he’s ever done. MOL is going to knock your socks off! That’s a promise.

So the ending is known and hopefully he left permission for someone to finish the story off, as I remember him saying a while ago that if he died before he finished the series he didn't want anybody else to attempt to complete it.

Still it is nonetheless a sad day
Yeah, he's been writing notes about the future plot line for quite some time. I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading his books. Although I admit I'm quite tired of hearing the details of what every single Aes Sedai wears at any moment or the mechanics of hand-washing clothes for a novice, the rest of the material was interesting. I have a good feeling that we will be reading the final book soon.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Did he produce any kids who will go on to make Sandworms of Time? [rolleyes]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement