How did you guys start with DirectX?

Started by
18 comments, last by GameCreator 22 years, 11 months ago
any other tutorial on net? I would need a good one....
Advertisement
Last summer I started programming with DJGPP + Allegro, I made a platform game demo, and resived a mail if I wanted to make a commercial game. I got VC+6.0 + DirectX in Fall and learnt DirectX, re-created the game to use it and sold it as a promotion game a few days before christmas. Now I know VC+6.0 + DirectX programming very well and like it. Havn''t started with D3D yet, I know the basics of OpenGL tough.

/MindWipe

"If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
I found that simply tinkering with the samples in the SDK were the best way to learn DirectX, However, for an early age I had already had an underlying understanding of assembly language and C++ before that so maybe it isn''t as easy as it seems. Since you already know C, it should be pretty easy to trace each line of the program in a sample and get the basic understanding of what it is doing, this will help you to figure out how windows COM works as well.
I found that simply tinkering with the samples in the SDK were the best way to learn DirectX, However, for an early age I had already had an underlying understanding of assembly language and C++ before that so maybe it isn''t as easy as it seems. Since you already know C, it should be pretty easy to trace each line of the program in a sample and get the basic understanding of what it is doing, this will help you to figure out how windows COM works as well.
probably you''re right but I haven''t SDK.......and I don''t have any money for books....can anyone help me (with tutorials)?
or simple examples in Dx?
Well, if you haven''t got the SDK you''re not going to be able to compile anything anyway, since it contains all the libraries and header files you need.

There''s a C++ specific download of the SDK which I think is about 45 MB, or you can order it on CD from Microsoft for about $10 (US).
I know, I know.....but 45MB (or 120 with examples)....too much
TOO MUCH!!!!
What are talking about? That is nothing. Doesn''t sound like you are very serious about this. If you are worried about a measly 110Meg, you should probably rethink your hobby.
Order the CD.
The 45 MB download is with examples and the available documentation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement