Sign in to follow this  

Simple game design

This topic is 3738 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I guess a lot of people in the audience are amateur programmers. So here's a thread for games that amateurs can program in a reasonable amount of time. I'll go first! (Post your ideas for simple games in this thread, please!) 1)A game whereupon you type in an e-mail address to a website, and an e-mail is sent to the person asking them to play the game on the website. Where they type in another e-mail address. Repeat. 2)Multiplayer NetPong! (Has someone already done this? If so, where can I play it?) 3)Uh...that's it for me. I'm out of ideas! (For now....) Okay, what's YOUR simple idea?

Quote:
Original post by aersixb9
1)A game whereupon you type in an e-mail address to a website, and an e-mail is sent to the person asking them to play the game on the website. Where they type in another e-mail address. Repeat.

Are you pleading guilty to the charges of writing a spam server?

Quote:
2)Multiplayer NetPong! (Has someone already done this? If so, where can I play it?)

Not exactly 'NetPong', but.

Simple game ideas? Mercenary chess.

You have all the back row chess pieces (one rook, one bishop, one knight, one queen, one king) and a starting set of pennies. Every player secretly selects how many pennies to commit to each piece, and where that piece should be played on the board (which is made smaller at only 4x4 tiles). The player must commit all his pennies.

Then, the pieces are placed on the board in that order (rook, bishop, knight, queen, kind) based on the position chosen by the player who won the auction (randomized if tied). If the space where the piece is played can be captured by an existing piece of the opposing player, the piece is gone and the opponent gains the amount paid by the auction winner. Otherwise, if the piece, once played, can capture any pieces of the opponent, then those pieces are gone and the player gets the amount paid by their owner. This is added to the amount left over after the auctions (because the auctions were lost).

The winner is the person with the most money.

A prototype I developed back in '05 for a database course uses this game. It's asynchronous (you can create a game, which lets you place auctions and wait for an opponent, or you can join a game and face another opponent's auctions). Check it out here, though the site is so old that I don't promise anything about its usability.

Quote:
Original post by aersixb9
2)Multiplayer NetPong! (Has someone already done this? If so, where can I play it?)

Check the Battleball link in my signature. And why not come and play (I'm d000hg there too). By the way this isn't my game, I just play it...

This topic is 3738 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.