Sign in to follow this  

C++ job types

This topic is 3739 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all! i am a really enthusiastic programmer. i have been wondering what particular part of c++/java i should concentrate on for employment purposes (i.e. Win32, graphics, etc.. (don't really know what else)). any ideas would be great!!!! thanks in advance

Versatility.

Once hired, a vast majority of C++ programmers have to use the in-house API and codebase of the company they work for—about the only 'common' stuff is the standard library and the boost library, and even these aren't used everywhere. Learn how to learn new APIs quickly.

If you have a particular industry in mind, you can also check the non-C++ skills required by those jobs (for instance, Oracle database interaction, UML modeling etc) by reading job listings at your favourite online job search engine.

The standard C++ library includes typical containers (vector, list, deque, map, set...), streams, strings, auto_ptr and most algorithms (for_each, tranform, find...). These are covered by all decent books

The boost libraries are described here.

erm...

well, what do you want to program? games? applications? web? robotics? operating systems? etc?

Pick what you want to have a career in and then learn to program the things commonly programed in that career.

If games because you're on a gamedev board. Do you like: graphics, AI, networking, physics, audio, gameplay logic, systems, etc? If you don't know, go broad and try everything out until you find something you like. It's good to have a basic understanding of all the systems in the game and an advanced understanding of your specialty.

-me

This topic is 3739 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.