MMORPG

Started by
41 comments, last by syncer 16 years, 6 months ago
What is the best language to do an MMORPG game in?
Advertisement
Legalese, using the "Sign contract with development studio." API (though you have to pay to use it, obviously).

If you insist on doing it yourself, on your own, using a language you already possibly know is better than learning a new language for the task. Almost any language will allow you to program a simple and small MMORPG, and industry MMORPGs are indeed written in a variety of different languages. I know some written in PHP, C#, C, C++ and Python (to name just a few).
you will get far too many different answers for this question

id say c++ but thats purely because i like c++

but simple answer is any language will be sutible, some use python, java, infact im sure ull find mmos in all languages
http://stowelly.co.uk/
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
Legalese, using the "Sign contract with development studio." API (though you have to pay to use it, obviously).

If you insist on doing it yourself, on your own, using a language you already possibly know is better than learning a new language for the task. Almost any language will allow you to program a simple and small MMORPG, and industry MMORPGs are indeed written in a variety of different languages.

What were you saying orginally about Lagelese?
Quote:Original post by syncer
What were you saying orginally about Lagelese?

Legalese is the english-like language used by lawyers when writing licenses, contracts and threat letters. If you wish to establish a contract to have a development studio write an MMORPG for you, then that contract will be written in legalese.
Alright here is the thing. I know it takes a lot of work and money to do MMORPG's. But I was wondering say I decide to start small and build up would that work? Secondly if I decide to use a specific language could I change it later on in the game?
But I was wondering say I decide to start small and build up would that work?

Yes, but it would still take a lot of work (not necessarily money, as bandwidth costs don't factor in as long as you remain small).

Quote:Secondly if I decide to use a specific language could I change it later on in the game?

You can always change to a new language.

Obviously, this will require rewriting large portions of the game. However, even if you don't change to a new language, you will still have to rewrite large portions of the game, so it's largely irrelevant.
Two last questions.

What would be the projected time to get something like this from development to beta testing? And is it possible to do an MMORPG opensource? Since I would not be doing this through a studio?
No one can reasonably answer that question without you elaborating a lot on your development plans. I.e. size of the workforce... size of the project...

Just as an idea, if you weren't already aware - most 3D PC MMORPGs take a team of 50+ developers (programmers, artists, designers), several years to complete.

For 1 programmer to develop a MMORPG of similar ambitions by himself would take, at best close to a decade?
- Teach a programmer an answer, he can code for a day. Show a programmer the documentation, he can code for a lifetime.
What would be the projected time to get something like this from development to beta testing?

Somewhere between "six months" (for a PHP/&#106avascript browser-based simple MMORPG) to "never" (for a World of Warcraft/Everquest/Eve Online/Ragnarok Online competitor).

Quote:And is it possible to do an MMORPG opensource?

Yes, it is. It's your code, you do whatever you want with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement