Sign in to follow this  

Question about TortoiseSVN

This topic is 3740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all!! I am testing TortoiseSVN for my next little project. All is working fine as expected but I have the next problem: When I change a TXT file in computer #1, for example, and save it, I can see the (!) icon on the file. I commit the change and turns into (V) icon. All is so nice until I go to computer #2 with a folder linked to the same repository and with the same file and TortoiseSVN doesn't notifies me that this file is out to date. I expected to see the (!) icon in the computer #2 but instead I see the (V) icon. Is this behaviour normal? Can I change it to what I'd like? =) I have checked another clients of SVN and I found RapidSVN, which has this functionality ( In the menu View -> Refresh with update ) so I guess I'm missing something in TortoiseSVN... Many thanks in advance, and sorry for my poor english =) < MChiz >

Quote:

I expected to see the (!) icon in the computer #2 but instead I see the (V) icon. Is this behaviour normal? Can I change it to what I'd like? =)

Yes, that's normal. The (!) icon signifies a *local change* not that the *file is out of date.* SVN is request-driven, it does not periodically poll the repository; you have to run an update or similar command for it to notice that local files are different than the repository versions.

A more robust GUI client might be able to do what you want, or you could set up a periodic cron-like action via the OS to run a nonmodifying update every so often, but that's a lot of work for a feature that's pretty useless in practice.

Hi!

Thanks for your fast answer =)

I don't think this feature is useless because it doesn't force me to do an update everytime I want to check if someone has finished some work, for example. I'd like to have the 'Check for modifications' command functionality but integrated with the icons overlays. I don't see why I should use one interface to commit, update, etc. and another to check for modifications. But maybe I'll be forced to do =)

I understand what you tell me, but there is a section in the help of TortoiseSVN that makes me doubt:

5.7. Getting Status Information
While you are working on your working copy you often need to know which files you have changed/added/removed or renamed, or even which files got changed and committed by others.

I'd like to know of people who had used RapidSVN. I like the TortoiseSVN auto-prop to give properties to specific file types, but I can't find this functionality in RapidSVN.

Thanks to all

< MChiz >

[Edited by - MChiz on September 17, 2007 11:53:46 AM]

This topic is 3740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.