• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Wan

The point of XNA game services

This topic is 4025 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
XNA Developer Center Game services are a mechanism for maintaining loose coupling between objects that need to interact with each other. Services work through a mediator—in this case, Game.Services. Service providers register with Game.Services, and service consumers request services from Game.Services. This arrangement allows an object that requires a service to request the service without knowing the name of the service provider.
I have been looking into the XNA's game services, made some of my own and implemented them. But they don't feel right to me. To me they come across as singletons or globals with a fancy name. What is the idea behind them, and in practice, what exactly are the potential advantages of using them? Am I missing something here?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!