Sign in to follow this  

[D3D9 + Vista + 8800GTS] Severe secondary monitor flicker (solved?)

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got a Direct3D 9 application running on Windows Vista (Ultimate, 32-bit) with an 8800GTS, and I've noticed that occasionally the second monitor blinks black for a split second. Not a big deal under normal circumstances, and something that I've been seeing with nVidia drivers on my XP machine at home with a 7900 GS for a while now (running my application or not), BUT... It seems that in one particular situation that involves intense particle overdraw, the problem gets really bad. Like every other frame at ~40 Hz the second monitor blanks. We have other situations that can cause a lot of overdraw, though, and none of those seem to do it. The only distinguishing factor I can come up with off the top of my head for the problematic one is that the particles are rendered with a VS/PS (pretty PS heavy at that, not unlike the rest of the scene). Pretty heavy VRAM consumption at this point, too, if it matters... Seems like on at least some level this has to be a driver bug, and I realize this is probably going to be pretty application-specific, but I just thought I'd post here in case anyone had encountered anything similar or had any leads off the top of their head. Something I'm doing is really aggravating the problem, even if there ends up being nothing I can do about the underlying cause. Thanks in advance. [Edited by - Neverender on September 21, 2007 8:13:47 PM]

I have Vista 32 Ultimate, an 8800GTS, dual monitors, and through various games I have not yet seen anything like what you describe.

Questions:

- Have you installed the Microsoft performance and reliability hotfixes yet? This drastically improved my video card experience. (KB938979 and KB938194)

- Which drivers are you using?
- What kind of monitors do you have?
- What resolution do you run your monitors in?
- What is the screen offset of each monitor? (for me, primary is 0,0 and secondary is -1600,0)
- Does your app run in windowed mode or full-screen?
- Does any other game/app do this?

Hey, Eugene! I'm in Corvallis. :)

Quote:
Original post by Nypyren
- Have you installed the Microsoft performance and reliability hotfixes yet? This drastically improved my video card experience. (KB938979 and KB938194)

Not yet...I'll have to look into that. I've heard about them, but haven't really investigated so far. I wouldn't be surprised if that just made the problem go away.
EDIT: Apparently these are in my Windows Update history. Looks like a no-go there...
Quote:
- Which drivers are you using?

Instrumented 163.16 (PerfHUD 5).
Quote:
- What kind of monitors do you have?
- What resolution do you run your monitors in?

Acer LCDs (AL2216W) running at 1680x1050.
Quote:
- What is the screen offset of each monitor? (for me, primary is 0,0 and secondary is -1600,0)

Secondary should be +1680,0.
Quote:
- Does your app run in windowed mode or full-screen?

Been running windowed, but I just tried it in full screen, and it definitely happens there too.
Quote:
- Does any other game/app do this?

Haven't run many games on this machine (honest!), as it's at work, but I don't recall ever seeing it do anything nearly as severe. But I do see a lone flicker to black on occasion during normal desktop usage, and that also happens at home on XP w/ 7900 GS. Maybe not related...

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.