Sign in to follow this  

Why, do so many people want to create a MMORPG?

This topic is 3744 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm just curious, and have repeatedly seen requests for help on 'MMORPGS'. Metaphoric Opinion: You should learn to build houses before you build SKYSCRAPERS. What exactly influences these people, to attempt something so 'BIG'? TONS of free MMORPGS currently exist, they are making absolutely no money. These include fancy looking 3D games too. So, I would just like to know, Why do you think people are attempting these projects, And maybe hear from a few people who are attempting it themselves. What's the motivation behind it? Please enlighten me.

A lot of 'newbies' simply do not have the experience and insight to understand the monumental task that is required to create a MMORPG and just see it as something they would like to do.

As to why its now the MMORPG craze there are potentially a number of reasons:
1) They are having a great time playing them and have a lot of ideas to 'improve' or change it and simply think it's easier to create their own. (Note: this is similar to the FPS craze when Halo,CS, and HL were both extremely popular)
2) They see the vast number of people playing it and the huge amount of money the successful companies are making and are hoping to jump on the money bandwagon.

Hey, I'm one of the "newbies" who wants to create a MMORPG. Here's why I wanna make one:

-they're popular, I play them so chances are a lot of people want to make one because:
-playing them has given me ideas about what I would do different
-also, i want to make some money and to me this looks like a way of doing it. Perhaps it's not the easiest, perhaps it's not the hardest, but I would like to do it.
-i'm interested in them and it keeps me motivated to work on them

The last reason I think is more important than the rest, because anything that keeps me motivated to learn more is a good thing. When I first started learning programming and dreaming about my game I didn't know about the amount of work involved or any steps. I just knew that I was motivated and kept on going. Now i realise it's more work than I anticipated but as long as I keep learning and working all that knowledge I can use later anyway.

If we were in an time of FPSes I probably would be working on something like that instead. So there you have it.

Unfortunately with work keeping me busy 40hrs a week my project has kind of died. Work sucks.

I think they realize that the genre still has not come close to its potential. Anyone who plays an MMORPG can easily think of ways it can be improved - much more so, I think, than other genres.

Sadly some don't stop to consider *why* the games aren't better.

Quote:
Original post by trojanman
A lot of 'newbies' simply do not have the experience and insight to understand the monumental task that is required to create a MMORPG and just see it as something they would like to do.

The funny thing is that a lot of people probably could make a MMORPG. The issue is that most people seem to set the standard too high. You can't expect to have WoW-style graphics and quality that required a huge team to create. Perhaps the simplest MMORPG is a chat room in IRC where people roleplay through text.

What I find interesting with MMORPGS/MUDs is that they are essentially sandboxes. Many of them have very loose rules. Play emerges from player interaction instead.

Quote:
Original post by Ranor
What I find interesting with MMORPGS/MUDs is that they are essentially sandboxes. Many of them have very loose rules. Play emerges from player interaction instead.

This is common misconception. MMORPG and MUDs are a completely different ballgame.

While in the core they are very similar, that tiny annoying little bit of details comes from Massive.

Massive doesn't mean x * 10. It means x^10. It's scalability that's the killer, and scalability in all issues, starting with code. Then network bandwidth, persistent storage, raw asset creation, interactions, ...

A MUD you can run on cellphone. Even remotely interactive MMO implies a cluster, and all the challenges that come with distributed computing, as well as management issues related to that.

This is why most of web-based "MMO"s create multi-player games, that are played in instances, shared by dozens of players. Those are doable. But shared world...

Personally, for me it's about the very challenge of distributed computing. Trying to find a reasonable compromise between a development pipeline and algorithmic performance of the system.

One could simply outsource development of MMO back-end to big iron enterprise companies, buy a data center of thousands of machines, and ran a database cluster. Perhaps use google's technology. But few have the money to do so.

So the trick is finding a compromise. Simplest technique, through leverage of existing technologies, to provide a massively scalable solution (thousands of users, no more), while keeping development process accessible.

MMOs aren't just about code. Or assets. Or management. But about the whole thing.

I see one main reason why so many n00bs decide to tackle an MMO:

They normally have no coding / game development experience, so all they know about game development is what they see in the game itself. Instead of seeing thousands of lines of code and all of the artwork made to create it, they just see the game; so it may at first sight seem feasible to attempt such a project because they just simply don't understand the amount of work and money involved. I guess they were too busy play WoW to take a look at the credits...

Why do so many people care that other people want to create MMORPGs?

Quote:
You should learn to build houses before you build SKYSCRAPERS.

If you want to build skyscrapers, and they are in absolutely no danger of falling and hurting anyone other than yourself, do whatever you please.

Quote:
What exactly influences these people, to attempt something so 'BIG'?

What hinders these people, to limit themselves strictly to something so small?

Quote:
TONS of free MMORPGS currently exist, they are making absolutely no money.

Money isn't everything. "The best things in life are free."

Quote:
Why do you think people are attempting these projects...

To stop playing Devil's Advocate for a minute, I really don't care. They'll fail or they'll succeed - neither outcome affects me in the slightest. What I am getting tired of is the inane rehashing of this subject where someone with no commentary, no insight and no apparent development skill creates a thread to "discuss" why others are creating MMORPGs. Who cares? And who cares that you don't understand it?

People emulate what they like. Their imaginations seize on the things they enjoy, and they dream of doing the same, stamping their own personality onto the outcome. For example, I like cars, and a dream of mine is to be able to design car bodies for a living - to be a modern coachbuilder. I'm considering going to graduate school for industrial design to this end (though it's looking more like I'll just go get an MBA, but you never know), and I hope to eventually obtain commissions to create experimental concepts for auto shows.

That's as pie-in-the-sky as making an MMORPG, but that's my dream. So let the kids have their dreams, eh? It costs you nothing.

To say a word about MMORPGs, yea lot of people want to make their own MMORPG. On another communities I've seen also "help with mmorpg" -topics and requests.

If someone is interested to make his own MMORPG, he should really try 'practising' with Realm Crafter (http://www.realmcrafter.com), although it's not free (about 50-60 euros).
You can make your own game with the premade engine or just simply customize the source code. The realm crafter engine gives you fully working client and server and mmorpg engine but if you want to make something more and different that program don't give you so much opportunities, thou modifying the source code will be the thing.

PS. I have that and I'm making an MMORPG with my friends, just for fun :P

Cause online games are the way of the future and AI just doesnt cut it at the moment for most games. Interacting with Humans (Who want to roleplay and not just spam like idiots) is far more satisfying than interacting with a computer pretending to be a human, quite obviously..

People are fascinated by Huge worlds full of real people roleplaying. Obviously... Im not sure what kind of a game developer wouldn't find it intrigueing creating such a an emmense world with so many people and possibilities..

Once you have people hooked, they will die for you.

People get addicted to single player games too, however the competition is so much more "In your face" with MMORPG's, that it makes it hard to log off. Its more satisfying walking around as a lvl 80 or whatever in a MMORPG and have ppl comment on all your items etc, then if you walk around in a single player game.

oh and... Just cause games are free, doesnt mean the ppl arent making money. Ever heard of sponsors? banner programs? etc. etc.

Quote:
Original post by Captain_Thunder
I think it has a lot to do with the ego boost that comes with being the supreme ruler of a community of hundreds or thousands.

That, and when most people see Runescape, they think that they could do much better.

I think there is lots of scope for something better, or at least different. Most of them seem to be directly, or indirectly based upon the dungeons and dragons universe (with the exception of second life). And speaking from a warcraft perspective, theres a hell of lot of grinding that could be thrown away without anybody missing it (fantastic, addictive game as it is though).

The thing about second life is that everything I hear about it suggests that its mirroring (too many different levels) alot of whats going on in the real world, doesn't much sound like escapism and fun too me.

And importantly, the game almost has nothing to do with it; its the people involved and the social networks the game allows you to build, thats the hook that keeps you coming back. Get the social networking right and the communication tools and you're onto a winner.

I'm al for these people attempting these projects, but if they knew what was involved, they probably wouldnt want to do it, Ive spoken to a few of these project leads, and they all seem dead on designing without consequence, for example, i asked one person if they wanted me to come up with a realistic algorithm for what they were proposing, but i was shrugged off and told, we'll deal with that later

Well, I have wanted to do one ever since seeing the movie TRON. But the hardware wasnt available at the time. Then a quick little game I played named Snipes was running all over computers everywheres. I thought that ascii art was doable, but not so much immersive, it scaled up nicely I suppose.

I'd like to make one probobly because I've got my secret hidden god-complex.

But I also do appreciate how much time it takes to make a good game, let alone one with a network interface and sparkly graphics and groovy sounds. I might not ever get there due to not even meeting milestones that should have been met years ago. I've sank in thousands of hours into my own projects and they are nowhere near where I'd like them to be.

But I'll at least try... programming is like my one free hobby, and I feel accomlished doing it.

End of Line

This topic is 3744 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.