look like drawn with a pen/pencil

Started by
11 comments, last by Oluseyi 16 years, 7 months ago
I was browsing through the "image of the day" list and found this realy creative game called crayon physics. Clicky SS I was wondering, how does he/she(kumikana) made the output from the pen/pencil, i tried experimenting by my own, but it didnt looked anywhere near that.I couldnt find any patterns so i think its how its done. My current code for this is:
[source langg = "cpp"]

void initpoints(BITMAP* bitmap)
{

for(int i = 0; i <=5; i++)
   putpixel(bitmap,rand()%bitmap->w-1,bitmap->h-1,makecol(rand()%70+80,rand() % 150 +105,rand()%70+80));
}

void drawpoints(BITMAP* buffer,int x, int y, int d)
{
  if(inside(x,y,mapxoff,mapyoff,mapxoff+SCREEN_W,mapyoff+SCREEN_H))
 {
    x -= mapxoff;
  y -=mapyoff;

draw_sprite(buffer,colorbitmaps[d],x,y);
 }
}

(using allegro)
•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•..•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•. Mads .•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜ ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜I am going to live forever... or die trying!
Advertisement
He/She describes it in the bottom of the thread....

The method involves several textures each with random alpha values, the textures get overlapped with psuedo-random texture coordinates and a diffuse color. The outcome looks amazing, doesn't it?

Anyway, read more of the post as it is described in slightly more detail than I did above.
I actualy thought of something along that line myself, but i thought id have had to make a "brush" for each color. In the folder he describes (that comes with the game)only contains one image(with a black brush) and a few bitmaps(for drawings, i suppose), how does he get all these nuances of ex. blue out from the nuances of black?
•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•..•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•. Mads .•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜.•°*”˜.•°*”˜ ˜”*°•.˜”*°•.˜”*°•..•°*”˜I am going to live forever... or die trying!
Quote:Original post by MadsGustaf
I actualy thought of something along that line myself, but i thought id have had to make a "brush" for each color. In the folder he describes (that comes with the game)only contains one image(with a black brush) and a few bitmaps(for drawings, i suppose), how does he get all these nuances of ex. blue out from the nuances of black?

Black isn't a color, are you sure it isn't grey/white ?

Changing the nuance of a greyscale image is quite simple, your greyscale image generally only has one channel per pixel, lets call that one L, your target color is a normal RGB value,

Thus for each pixel you simply multiply L with R for the red channel, L*B for the blue, and L*G for the green.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
You could use vertex colours to tint the basic black/white mask easily, combined with blending so that overlapping colours merge correctly. You could even add some subtle random colour variation per brush to make things look less regular.
Quote:Original post by SimonForsman

Black isn't a color, are you sure it isn't grey/white ?

Changing the nuance of a greyscale image is quite simple, your greyscale image generally only has one channel per pixel, lets call that one L, your target color is a normal RGB value,

Thus for each pixel you simply multiply L with R for the red channel, L*B for the blue, and L*G for the green.

Let me get this straight, ex:
int R = 255
int G = 10
int B = 20

then i index through the standard bitmap brush's pixels and do something along this line
putpixel(randombitmapbrush[0],curpixel.x,curpixely,makecol(255*curpixel.color,10*curpixel.color,20*curpixel.color)
what if the color im looking at is white(255,255,255)? then im getting a color above 255.
Simply multiply the values, check if they're within the 0-255 range - if they're below, set them to 0, if they're above, set them to 255 - and then draw that pixel.

That is, if that particular putpixel function doesn't do that underwater already (which I don't know, I've never used Allegro).
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
int R = 255
int G = 10
int B = 20

then i index through the standard bitmap brush's pixels and do something along this line
putpixel(randombitmapbrush[0],curpixel.x,curpixely,makecol(255*curpixel.color,10*curpixel.color,20*curpixel.color)

Your variable name indicates a misunderstanding.

The RGB value is the pixel color. What you are going to multiply/modulate it by is the desired intensity, which, for convenience sake, should be normalized to lie between 0.0 and 1.0. That way, the component value will never be over 255.

If the pixel is white (255,255,255) and the intensity is 50%, ie 0.5, then:
resulting_color = (255 * 0.5, 255 * 0.5, 255 * 0.5) = (128, 128, 128)when rounded up to nearest integer value. Which is a shade of gray.
Whoa.. That picture is like.. AWESOME. In which thread does he describe how he made it? I'd like to see...
int R = 255
int G = 10
int B = 20

Your variable name indicates a misunderstanding.

The RGB value is the pixel color. What you are going to multiply/modulate it by is the desired intensity, which, for convenience sake, should be normalized to lie between 0.0 and 1.0. That way, the component value will never be over 255.

If the pixel is white (255,255,255) and the intensity is 50%, ie 0.5, then:
resulting_color = (255 * 0.5, 255 * 0.5, 255 * 0.5) = (128, 128, 128)when rounded up to nearest integer value. Which is a shade of gray.
Sorry for probaly asking a dumb question,but im not very familiar with graphiclal programming.How can i get the intensity from the pixel(/or is it from the whole image) I know there probaly is a function for that in allegro, but i couldnt seem to find one. Do i get this information when i draw the image?

MADSravn>:uh-uh! nice name you got there, fellow dane! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement