Sign in to follow this  

Problems with Normal Mapping Shader in XNA

This topic is 3740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, hoping you can help out. I’m developing in XNA, and using a normal mapping shader on an object I’m getting different results on windows and xbox. I don’t think either is right, but want other opinions. In the picture below, you’ll see an object that is rotating. 4 pictures are used to show the rotation. The 5th picture is from the xbox. It’s still rotating but the effect stays constant. The light direction is set in the shader, and should be constant. I would expect the light to stay in one place. However, something weird is occurring on windows. The light stays off to the right, but you’ll see it goes from flat to partially lit to lit with some specular to lit with no specular. If the light isn’t moving, I’d think I should always see the specular on the right edge, regardless of the object rotating or not? On the xbox it’s very flat, no specular, and the edge between lit and dark is very hard. The 5th picture I had to create since I can’t take a screen shot on the xbox, but it’s basically how it looks. I don’t think this is right either. Has anyone else experienced weird behavior and/or do you have a normal map shader you know works that I could test with? http://samples.3dmuve.com/photoalbum_view.cgi?screenshots/012_paddle_shader_lighting_issue/problem_with_shader_lighting.jpg Thanks for any feedback. [Edited by - QuadMV on September 18, 2007 10:17:00 AM]

I got my issue resolved, I needed tangent data, and I wasn't using a tangent pipline function I had. I've since merged the tangent function and a bounding box function (the pipeline I was using) into a single pipeline, and now everything works perfectly.

This topic is 3740 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.