Sign in to follow this  

Where to Begin? (#471)

This topic is 3741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey All, Before I begin my rant: I have INDEED read the "Game Programming Beginners Guide" by Dave Astle. Although an excellent article, I hail more from a designer's/entrepreneur's standpoint. Coding all day would [consume] me. Hehe. BACKGROUND: I've been writing and directing short films for the past few years. I recently cemented my passion for filmmaking with the formation of a production company. Personality wise: I'm dedicated, long-term, and quite possibly insane! THE GOAL: To form a Game Development Company committed to bridging the gap between interactive experiences and cinematic storytelling. Model Companies: Bioware, Square Enix THE QUESTION: As a young (18 YO), right-brain dominant, story-centric kid, what's the best route in building a Game Development Company? I realize I need to accrue experience and reliable partners before I head to investors, so where should I start? What's most important at this state? Learning to code or learning some theory? Thanks so much, everyone!

I would recommend that you head over to sloperama.com and read through the FAQ there. Afterwords, I would recommend going to college and getting yourself a business degree.

Sorry, what is it you actually want to do? Programming, design, or business? You need to figure that out first. Then you need to work in a studio doing whatever path you intend to pursue. As for investors, mostly they are going to be looking for someone who can do what they say they can do. If you haven't been a part of a team that has shipped a game, they have no reason to believe that you can deliver or your promises.

[edit] *slaps forehead* And I heartily endorse zer0wolf's advice.

jjd, I'm aiming for Design.

My thoughts on going to college: institutionalized education isn't for everyone. I think if you're self-motivated and driven, it can be more advantageous to bypass the system, get some books, and build a portfolio.

Thanks for the link to Sloperama, zer0.

Quote:
Original post by Khorun
My thoughts on going to college: institutionalized education isn't for everyone. I think if you're self-motivated and driven, it can be more advantageous to bypass the system, get some books, and build a portfolio.

Unfortunately for you though that isn't how the the game industry works. Sloperama.com will provide you with a heck of a lot more insight that a single post will right here. Tom Sloper provides some really sound advice on his site and you should really take heed to it. You simply will not get hired by a game company as a designer without either paying your dues in QA or getting your butt into college and getting an education. College is more than just reading, writing, and 'rithmetic. You make connections that will last for years to come and will be provided with the opportunities to work with people who will help you realize your dreams. Doing it yourself just doesn't happen anymore. Things aren't the same they were when id software and Blizzard were getting their starts. The gaming industry is over a $12 billion a year industry. You have to play by the rules.

Yes, you will definately need a college education to get into the industry. Now-a-days that is a must.

You say you are aiming at design? Design is even broad, you should try to narrow that down a bit more too. For example: story writing, level design, model designer / animator, etc. Find out what you're good at, and work with it. Once you get experienced enough, try to find some team members and make yourself a small team so you can get a small project going. Work your way up small. Once you have a portfolio and a college degree, you will have much better chances in the industry.

This topic is 3741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.