Am I too old?

Started by
30 comments, last by tonywatts 16 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys! Am I too old to start learning CPP and Opengl? I started learning CPP a few months ago and I bought some books and videos in math. I'm really not that good in math and I was wondering if it's too late 'cause I'm 24 years old. And some dudes were laughin' at me and tellin' me that I can't do it 'cause it's really difficult to learn programming 'cause they also tried it and they all failed. So they ended up taking networking stuff. I put 3 hours in math and a few hours in c++ a day, is that enough? By the time I'm done learning all this maybe I'd be 40 years old, maybe it is too late. How long does it take?!!!. I'm sorry for askin' such stupid questions. THANKS!
Advertisement
Are you attending college?

If you are motivated enough you can do it. It's a tough road but you can do it. You have to feel it in your heart that this is the thing you want to do. Personally I don't even worry about whether I will succeed in the industry (but tell the truth I get depressed thinking about finding a job in the industry, so many good people out there). I'm doing it as a hobby.

Wait, that was a total contradiction... Let me rephrase that. If you really love it and this is what you really want to do, go for it.

No, you're not too old.
A little practice here and there is good. A lot of practice all the time is better. Generally, if you stick with something long enough and you have the motivation and enthusiasm you'll become good enough to do work in the industry soon enough.

Good luck, and have fun!
It's never too late to learn to program. I actually read an article a while ago about an elderly lady (> 80) going to medical school, not the same field, but a good example none the less.

If you worked on it as much as you say you do, and stuck with it, you could probably learn enough to make some games within 2-3 years.

Use others negative attitudes to motivate you, because once you finish a game and are doing something fun and creative, you'll be the one laughing. :)
I'm also doing this as a hobby. I want to be as good as this one guy here in gamedev.net, his name is "fallingcat". I'm even thinking about quitting guitar(been playing guitar for about 5 years and I'm really good now). I'm also taking one day off of my 4 days a week workout. I need to win the lottery so I can focus on CPP and Opengl. programming is all I'm thinkin' about, even when I'm at work (slacking off learning C++)or when I'm asleep. What do you think about that guys!? This what I've always wanted to do. Every time I see CPP codes, It brings a smile to my face and everyone thinks I'm crazy! anyway, THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I HOPE FOR THE BEST TO ALL OF YOU!!!
If you've already shown remarkable technical prowess in electronics or some other engineering type activity, you probably have the 50% of the programmer that is "born" and can learn the other 50% in about 3 years. Build a complete small project first, and then try something just a little more ambitious. Post back to this thread with your game idea, and people will be more than glad to help you gauge how much work you might be looking at. You don't want to make an MMORPG, for example, but a nice tetris or platform game using 3d graphics is pretty doable by a single amateur programmer in a year. It is motivating to finish something 100%, and less motivating if you start the habit of not finishing the projects that you start. That's the main difference between you and me, sir. You'll be 24 and have no unfinished programming projects haunting you. I have about 130 years worth of stuff to finish up... :-)

Short answer : of course not!!! The math may be a little harder to grasp, but it's nothing that time and perseverence can't ( and won't ) overcome. BTW, since when was 24 old??!?!?!?!?
Although there was a mention of math in the original post, this thread really has nothing to do with math or physics. It doesn't have much to do with actual programming or OpenGL either, but I don't feel it belongs in the Lounge. So, I'm moving it to For Beginners.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Quote:Original post by SyntaxError Line21
Am I too old to start learning CPP and Opengl? ...I'm 24 years old. And some dudes were laughin' at me and tellin' me that I can't do it 'cause it's really difficult to learn programming 'cause they also tried it and they all failed.

So because some losers failed, you're now doubting yourself?

You're a baby. I'm only three years older than you, but, believe me, I know people older than me who started around 30 and are highly productive experts now. Plus, most people don't really learn how to program until they get to college, so you're pretty much par for the course.

Quote:I put 3 hours in math and a few hours in c++ a day, is that enough?

Who knows? It depends on what you learn during your "few hours," and on how you learn - how you relate it to what you already know, how easily you retain information... There are an infinite number of variables, which is why learning is an individualized affair. The only absolute is that you can learn if you want to an put in the necessary effort (which varies by individual).

Plus, it doesn't take that long to learn enough C++ and OpenGL to make a simple 3D game. And if you're willing to set your sights a little lower 9and maybe use a simpler set of tools), it takes even less time.

Good luck, and happy hacking!
Well, I'm 27 and learning. I have always loved looking at games and even non game related applications and just wondering... How does it all work? What pieces had to fall together to make the puzzle complete? So I decided to find out and started seriously studying and learning.
I messed with C++ back when I was 16 or so but I had less important things on my mind(that seemed important to a teen).
I find it actually much easier now than I did back then. Maybe it's just me growing up and more of a work ethic I dunno. But I think if you have a true passion about something... there is no cut off age to learning it and being good at it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement