General game questions(C++)

Started by
6 comments, last by Zahlman 16 years, 7 months ago
Now i'm new to this forum but i have had some previous programming experience, this would be(if you can count these): GML(Gamemaker laungauge), LSL(Linden Scripting laungauge(for an online game)),HTML, and those are in order from most experience to least. I recently bought:http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=379&CategoryID=21 and have currently read to chapter 2(too much work from school), but what i have read so far is it is all text based, now due to the fact that i'm used to the nice cushy Gamemaker, FPS creator(i help teach them in the summer), and they both have the graphics that i can easily show and modify in a heartbeat, i don't know how to add graphics in C++, now yes i am jumping ahead of myself, but i like asking questions ahead of time to get around those annoying bugs/glitches/etc. so is there any book or online tutorial i should look at when i finish this book?
-A.K.A SteveGravity is unreliable-DTD
Advertisement
You will need to learn an API to display any graphics in C++. Just make the text stuff for now though. Learn the language first before you worry about graphics. But when you do think you have a firm grasp of C++, try out SDL or Allegro for 2d graphics.
"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool
why does C++ have no graphics? It seems like something so very necessary for any programming language. And I have yet to need anything related to API's so do allegro or SDL have tutorials?
C++ is simply a language, nothing more. You use libraries for the extra functionality of it (graphics, audio, etc).

Sorry, but GML isn't a very "serious" programming language, and I'm not sure if HTML is even considered a programming language.

That link I gave you has tutorials for SDL. Check them out if you want. But don't get ahead of yourself. Don't bother trying to learn an API before you actually know how to program. Learn the language first, then learn the API. If you jump ahead of yourself you could end up like a lot of other people and give up from frustration.

So in other words, learn to walk before you run.
"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool
alright, thanks
I might recommend another language first, but I won't start those wars. HTML is considered a Markup Language, not programming. I'm thinking you need to read some intros into what programming is and what a language is. I don't mean to be mean or insulting, I just think that might be the first best move.
I have some prevous knowledge of C from a: "Teach yourself C in 24 hours" book, but that was a while back, and because i help teach GML in the summer i know a lot of the basics.
Quote:Original post by monkey4sale
why does C++ have no graphics? It seems like something so very necessary for any programming language.

No. Graphics are about the last thing you need for any programming language, and in fact they are almost never built in to a programming language, but instead provided in libraries and APIs. This is because one of the major reasons for using a programming language (as opposed to trying to write things directly in machine code) is portability (i.e. compilers could translate the code to multiple sets of machine code for different systems), and not all systems *can* display graphics.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement