Sign in to follow this  

Dev Kit Questions

This topic is 3744 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a college student and I'm trying to do some basic development for a project. The problem is my teacher wants me to use the MIPS architecture. As far as I'm aware, the PS1, PS2 and N64 are the only ones that use the architecture, and I'm trying to find a dev kit for 1 of them (except for the PS2, because I don't have 5K to burn, unless someone knows where I can get the PS2 Linux kit...). Anyone Know if there even possible to get? And if so, where? I'm guessing that you really can't get them, but, hey, worth asking. Next is about emulators. If I were to get an N64 emulator, and Create a ROM, could I theoretically some day get a dev kit and use the exact same programing, or even the ROM itself on an N64. I guess what I'm asking is, how close programming wise would an emulator and rom be to the real thing as far as development goes? Thanks a bunch

You can't get the official dev kits for those systems, so don't bother trying. You have some options in the homebrew scene, but they can be unpleasant to set up and work with.

But your awareness regarding the MIPS platform is, well, wildly off base. Lots of systems use it, although the ones you mentioned are probaby among the most famous applications in the game development industry (info). You don't need a dev environment for a console to do the work your professor wants; in fact, it's probably a very bad idea.

You can get simulators for the environment for many operating systems; the page I linked directs you to one called SPIM for example. This is likely what your professor is expecting, not some weird homebrew N64 ROM with your assignment on it. Although really, you should ask him or her which simulator and/or platform they'll be using -- they should be able to provide you with the appropriate tools or links to their download sites.

Quote:

I guess what I'm asking is, how close programming wise would an emulator and rom be to the real thing as far as development goes?

Close enough for practical work, not close enough to base a shipping product on (you always need to test on the real hardware). But that should be mostly irrelevant here.

I think he's saying "Well, now I know MIPS from this course, now I can try my hand at console development".

I assume his professor has already given him SPIM to do the assignment/project on. If not, SPIM is probably your best bet.

Also, I looked at the wikipedia article already, and those were the only video game systems that the mentioned (well, and the PSP). And I've looked at through the Nintendo consoles, and it looks like the N64 was the only one that used MIPS, but if you know of other systems, then please do tell.

This topic is 3744 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.