Sign in to follow this  

[web] How to test fastcgi?

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I made a django site, and when I run it through the shell it runs fine(./script.fcgi) the problem is when I run it through a web browser it just sits there and doesn't do anything until the request times out. I even did the request through telnet and there's nothing coming back. I'm guessing it's probably something my host did with the fcgi configuration and am wondering is there an easy way to test it(never had done fcgi other than for my django site on my test box which works properly).

Does it work on your development server? What error messages do you get on the web server log?

Are you sure that the version of every single software component is the same between your development and production servers?

Mark

on my development server it works 100%, but then again I have 100% control over the server.

I'm deploying it to shared hosting, due to the size of the site(last year it got just over 3000 hits over the year, so I don't see it needing too much resources), so I have no idea what version any of the software components are except for python(which is a local user install). There is no message in the error log.

You can't, in general, expect anything to work on any version of anything other than the ones you've tested it on.

This means that if you're on shared hosting, you're *entirely* at the mercy of their sysadmins to install the correct versions. Normally this means that you find out what version of each component they use and duplicate it on your dev server.

However, most shared hosting providers have a completely useless policy when it comes to notifying developers of changes or allowing them to veto changes - they simply stick new versions of stuff on whenever it suits them with little or no warning, and certainly no option to postpone or stop it.

You should really contact your provider if you can't debug it yourself, however, as a cheap hosting account typically has clueless sysadmins with no respect for change control, you're probably on a losing streak.

Even if you get it working, there's no guarantee that it will continue to do so. Shared hosting is a false econonmy.

Mark

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.