3dsmax, maps, and the .x format

Started by
6 comments, last by orphankill 16 years, 7 months ago
I'm confused about making and loading maps. I've used the search key to look at old posts on this website and have seen that 3dsmax and blender usually get recommended for map making. This is fine because I have 3dsmax. The problem is loading anything I make into my game. It has to be in .x format right? So I downloaded a .x exporter which doesn't work (or at least I can't figure out), and I'm completely stumped. How do games create their own format and load their own map files, if it all comes down to D3DXCreateMeshFromX? Could someone point me in the direction of a tutorial or explain to me the process of loading in a map, please?
Advertisement
You most certainly do not have to use X files to create meshes, they're just convenient because the loading function is provided for you. You could certainly write your own class to directly import 3dsmax files (you could even use the ID3DXMESH container for your application once you've loaded it), or you could use someone else's code to do the same thing.
Excuse my newb ignorance please, but you could you point me in the direction of a tutorial or example of loading another format in? I just plain don't understand how the loading procedure works to be honest.
use the panda x plugin to export to .x file on 3ds max

http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/3d_models.html
Knowledge is power!
I actually already have that exporter with 3dsmax9 but everytime I export a model, even if it's just a cube with no textures or materials, it refuses to load in the mesh viewer. I realize that you didn't make the exporter so you probably don't know why, but does anyone know how to directly import 3ds files?
The problem might be with what you're doing in that case.

I use Panda DirectX exporter all the time with no problems. Could you show us how you're loading the model?
I don't use Panda Exporter anymore, but if it's not changed till the last time i used it, it doesn't work much.. Try this exporter instead :)

Anyway, which version of the directX sdk do you have? the Mesh Viewer has serious problems in the latest release, so i would not bother too much if it doesn't work..

Also, take a look at this site, has tutorials for c++ and c#, should fit your needs :)
uhhhh...that's the same exporter. the panda website redirected me to that kw exporter. but no worries, i got it working with models that i make, but if i import a model from someone else, it refuses to export as a x file properly. i've tried several different models from different websites. are there certain options i have to use?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement