Sign in to follow this  

c++ iostreams thread safe ?

This topic is 3743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In C++, are the standard iostreams (std ::cout, std ::cerr, ...) thread safe ? Meaning that multiple threads may output things to these streams simultaneously without corrupting their internal state, or do I need to serialize their access? For example could the following piece of code crash a program if run simultaneously by several threads ? std::cout << "bloub" << std::endl; Or is an output looking like the following the worst thing that can happen : bloubbloub bloub bbloolubub …

No, the design isn't thread-safe by very nature of API.

For practical purposes, calling them from different threads should work, although it's not guaranteed by standard.

I'd assume that due to nature of underlying console API, each thing sent to these strings is printed atomically. So std::cout << "Hello World"; will print "Hello World", but std::cout << "Hello " << "World"; may get interrupted by another thread.

I construct the strings to emit in a thread-safe manner, then send them as a string (including newline) and haven't noticed any anomalies.

This topic is 3743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.