win32 or mfc?

Started by
12 comments, last by superpeter 22 years, 12 months ago
If you want to write a spreadsheet or business app, use MFC. If you want to write a game (and I asume you do), use straight Win32.

Charles Petzold will get you up and running. Its what I used to learn Windows 3.0 (okay, I''ll admit it, I''m an old fart).

D.V.
D.V.Carpe Diem
Advertisement
i try to found the programming windows in book store today, but i can not find the english, i can only found the taiwan chinese (i am a chinese and living in HK), this is really suck, i dont want to get the chinese one cause programming book translated from english to chinese like a mess, it shows in HK few people know low level programming, no one interested to buy it, and the book store need me to wait for shipping from US............ZZZZZZZZZ
There is little performance penalty for using MFC just to get a window on the screen. If you start using the CArray, CFile or the like it''s a different story...
Run your game in a seperate thread (which is a good idea anyway).
You .exe will be ~200k bigger in release mode (if you statically link the MFC libraries).

That said, I think the WTL is the way to go. It''s brand new and damn cool. As powerful as MFC with no code bloat - templates rock.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
If you''re new to Windows programming, MFC is easier to use. But, if you want a game that is smaller and faster, use Win32. MFC is good if you want your game''s interface to look like a traditional Windows program. If, however, you are planning to write your own GUI, use Win32. Overall, I would definitely say go with Win32.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement