A game programmer to be ( C )

Started by
15 comments, last by Reegan 16 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Reegan
Ok thanks, you've twisted my arm, i'm going to choose C#.

One more question, Which IDE should i use for C#?

Visual C# express.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by trojanman
Ok thanks, you've twisted my arm, i'm going to choose C#.

One more question, Which IDE should i use for C#?

Visual C# express.

Cry cry cry - another one joining the C# team :'(

And mikeman, what's not to understand? My first REAL language was C++. But before I read my C++, I did some playing around with Delphi. You know how that works?
Dont worry Mad, eventually ill get round to doing some C/C++
Thos are the languages id prefer to work with but for no whilst ima newbie ill have to deal wih this one :)

Embarassing question:
How do i compile and run my program? i tried build then start debuging
but i didnt get anything come up like it said it should in the tutorials.
im trying to get the traditional "Hello world" to be displayed in the window

EDIT: Never mind i fixed it.

But now i have another question...
Why do tutorials never explain how to stop the program from exiting once the computer has finished all the code and how would i go about stoping this in C#

[Edited by - Reegan on September 18, 2007 7:09:21 PM]
But now i have another question...
Why do tutorials never explain how to stop the program from exiting once the computer has finished all the code and how would i go about stoping this in C#

Because that's what console programs are supposed to do after they're done: after they've done their job, there's no need for them to hang around. Technically, the window you see isn't your program, it's just a temporary window that your program sends it's output to.

Of course, for beginners, and while testing, it's usefull to have it stick around. An often employed method is to ask for input before the program ends. You can also set a breakpoint - the program will halt once it encounters this breakpoint, after which you can resume your program or step through further code manually (usefull when debugging your code). Also, you can run the program from within a command window: after the program is finished, it stops, but your command window stays open, so you can still view the output.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
I'll probably get some crap for this, but you should start out with whatever language you want to. I started with C and have no regrets. Well, I actually wish I would have started with assembly language, but other than that no regrets.

C is definitely a low level language and doesn't hold your hand like some other high level languages do. It's definitely not the easiest language to start with, but once you gained a solid grasp on C programming, a bunch of other languages will come easily to you.

If you want to work in the game industry, C++ is still the standard, with C# rapidly gaining ground in the area of tools programming.

However, if you just want to make games by yourself, it doesn't really matter which language you use, provided it does what you want it to. Go with whatever makes the most sense to you.

Coming from a background in Gamemaker (if you've done any scripting with it), you'll feel right at home with C or any C-derived language such as C++, C#, Java, etc.
Quote:Original post by madsravn
And mikeman, what's not to understand? My first REAL language was C++. But before I read my C++, I did some playing around with Delphi. You know how that works?

I think he objects to the implication that Delphi is somehow "not a real language".
Captain P: Thanks! :)

Morx: Ok thanks, im starting to like C# now especially the Microsoft IDE Visual C# Express by the way all my games where scripted/coded.

Zalhman: ?? huh.. ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that ive picked up and decided to learn C# im gonna need to learn about game programming in it. Programming languages are used for many different things other than game programming. So i would like to know what tutorials i should look up and study, specifficly for game programming.
Ive sent a PM to JWalsh about the C# workshop thing but i dont know if its too late for me to start.

Any help would be much apreciated.
Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement