Strings have shattered my once-cool program.

Started by
12 comments, last by boejunda 16 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by nuvem
In any case, all that I can see is your assignment operator doesn't actually assign.

QFE. this is a huge problem. It means that every time you are pushing onto that list, no valid data is actually being copied into it.

-me
Advertisement
Just a word to the wise; you should really look to using something other than the glAux bitmap loading function for loading in textures. It is known to leak memory and should be avoided (yes, I know NeHe uses it but that doesn't mean it is any good).

There are numberous libs avaible, one which is simple should should suit your needs is SOIL.

(normally I'd take this change to pimp my own loading library, GTL, however as simple as the interface is I suspect compling it is over your head right now.)
Quote:Original post by Palidine
Quote:Original post by nuvem
In any case, all that I can see is your assignment operator doesn't actually assign.

QFE. this is a huge problem. It means that every time you are pushing onto that list, no valid data is actually being copied into it.

-me

Yes.

It is worth nothing that in your case, the correct way to write the copy constructor, assignment operator and destructor is as follows:

I.e., nothing at all. The default behaviour - member-wise copies, assignments and cleanups - is exactly what you want.

Also, don't make 'load' functions. Do that work in the constructor, instead.

Also, use initialization lists to initialize data members where possible.

Also, it looks like you're storing a vector of "named" graphic objects, so that you can search through it, one at a time, to find the one you want later. Don't do that. Instead, use an associative container - std::map, in this case. It lets you use the graphic name directly as an "index" into the container (and then there is also no reason to store it as part of the graphic object).

class Databank {  // etc. etc.  std::map<string, Graphic> graphics; // instead of the vector};struct LoadFailure {};// Since constructors can't return, our Graphic constructor will throw an// exception on failure. Here's how we can wrap the exception to preserve the// original interface.bool Databank::loadGraphic(const string& id, const string& fileName) {	try {		graphics[id] = Graphic(fileName);		return true;	} catch (LoadFailure&) {		return false;	}}class Graphic {	GLuint id;	public:	Graphic() : id(-1) {}	Graphic(const std::string& filename);	// You should only need == and <, and they should return bool.	bool operator== (const Graphic &rhs) const { return id == rhs.id; }	bool operator< (const Graphic &rhs) const { return id < rhs.id; }	GLuint getTexture() { return id; }};Graphic::Graphic(const std::string& filename) {	// Fix your AUX_RGBImageRec class to have a proper destructor etc., and	// fix loadBMP to allocate it via 'new', and return a std::auto_ptr	// instead of a raw pointer.	std::auto_ptr<AUX_RGBImageRec> image = loadBMP(fileName);	if (!image) { throw LoadFailure(); }	glGenTextures(1, &id);	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, id);	glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, image->sizeX, image->sizeY, 0, 	             GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image->data);	// Do you really want to redo this with each texture?	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);}
Thanks Zahlman. A map is all I needed (Pun intended)! But seriously, for what I designed that'll work way better than the route I was going to go (Coulda inserted another map pun right there). And I also hadn't heard of auto pointers yet either.
Lemme take this new info and try it out, I'll get back.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement