Can't take it anymore. Why is developing such a pain?

Started by
38 comments, last by DrEvil 16 years, 7 months ago
You don't have nearly as many of these problems when you're writing software on the Mac. Maybe Windows will catch up some day. It is, after all, not 1986.
Will Miller | Game Designer | Big Huge Games
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by VanKurt
Is it asked to much that I just want to compile my code into a single .exe file that will run on every PC?

Nope, just use a write-once-run-everywhere language like Java, plus cross-platform libraries (or it won't be w-o-r-e... it probably won't quite be anyways, but we're getting there).

For those who think that programming being hard is a good thing, you have my condolences. Programming is all about preemptive laziness.
"These are C/C++ runtime DLLs. The .exe you are running is probably a debug build, therefor the debug DLLs are used. If you were to run a release build the release DLLs would be needed (same filename without the D at the end IIRC)."

As I said, I did a release build. That's why I'm so confused these D-DLLs are needed ;-)
Are you sure? You didn't mess with any of the project settings ever that might have accidentally changed things?

Remember "Debug" and "Release" are just the names of default configurations generated by VS. You can change the actual options -- for example, you can change the settings in the Release configuration to depend on debug DLLs. Go back and sanity-check all your settings.

Then make sure you're not depending on external libraries that themselves might have been compiled to use the debug DLLs, et cetera. As mentioned, depends.exe can help you identify this.
if your'e not solwed the problem try to add a folder named "./Debug"
then insert the dll inside it.
if it works with vc probally will work.
© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!
Before I start my Trial-And-Error-Session:
What if I create a DLL (engine) and EXE (game)? How should I choose the settings?
Do these VisualStudio DLLs have to be included in both projects?

Thank's a lot so far!
Quote:Original post by aCynic2
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Is it asked to much that I just want to compile my code into a single .exe file that will run on every PC?

Yes, it's too much to ask. This isn't 1968.

Good, because PCs didn't exist back in 1968. We didn't even have portable electronic calculators until the mid to late 1970s and those were LED based and the size of an unabridged dictionary.

ADDENDUM: Unless you're talking about the Altair.

ADDENDUM: Not even the Altair 8800, because that didn't come out until 1974-75.

Umm you're wrong, PCs did exist then. HP released the Hewlett-Packard 9100A in 1968 which was the world's first personal computer. So Oluseyi got the year exactly right :)
Before I start my Trial-And-Error-Session:
What if I create a DLL (engine) and EXE (game)? How should I choose the settings?
Do these VisualStudio DLLs have to be included in both projects?

Thank's a lot so far!

I would recommend running everything in debug until you ( you and valgrind ) are VERY sure that it works, then switch it to release. It doesn't really matter where your code is in that case, because you will allways have to load your engine anyway. You could take some code you seldomly need out into some DLL and load it whenever you require to improve your app's startup time ( through decreasing it's size ).
Remember a single printf("hello world!\n") will require you to link against the Visual C libraries, no matter where in your application the call for printf is located.

Quote:Original post by Oluseyi

Yes, it's too much to ask. This isn't 1968.

No, it's not. He wants to build an application that runs on every i686 machine running windows vista. That should _not_ be a problem. In fact I could take any of the programms I'm doing here ( p4quad gf88 linux 2.6 ) and make them run on my old computer ( p3 gffx linux 2.6 ) without even thinking of relinking or recompiling ( thanks to the fact -march=686 generates better code for me than -march=prescott )
Quote:
Umm you're wrong, PCs did exist then. HP released the Hewlett-Packard 9100A in 1968 which was the world's first personal computer.

just being a prick but
close to $5000 in 1968 would be what $30000 nowadays (ie fails the definition of a personal computer WRT price)
also in capabilities it seems to be just a overblown calculator
http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp9100.htm

IMO PCs came out in the late 70s

Quote:Original post by zedz

IMO PCs came out in the late 70s

August 12, 1981

Personal Computer was a model name, that later evolved into what we refer to as PCs today.

Although, as the article mentiones, "personal computer", (not same as) "Personal Computer" (or the PC in IBM PC), was used for a decade before then.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement