Sign in to follow this  

getting started

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I would like to get started in game development. My question is what is the best game engine that is good to learn from only requirement is that it is free. C++ is my preferred language Thank you

Starting off with an engine probably isn't the best place for an absolute beginner to learn, you'll need to spend some time working with your chosen language (probably with simply console (i.e. text-based) programs so you aren't overwhelmed by the complexity of whatever engine you choose to work with.

As for engines you could use however I would recommend Haaf's Game Engine or The PopCap Framework. Both are freely available 2d engines you can use with C++.

From what you said I'm presuming that you come from the "normal programming" side of the fence, right? One thing about game programming that you will notice right away is that what seem to be very small problems to solve (programs to write) become hugely complex and hard to manage in a matter of hours. I wouldn't suggest starting game development with HGE (haven't tried PopCap) until you know the ins-and-outs of C++.

This all might be right off the mark and I'm not presuming to know more than you or anything, just a heads up if you weren't already aware. (HGE is VERY good though... if you know C++, unlike me :)

I would also recommend SDL, although it isn't a game engine it is a nice 2D gfx library you can use to build games.

According to your posts it looks like you know how to do console, but beware, using an engine isn't easy either. So I would also look into the WIN32 API (seeing that you are not using C# and I presume you are developing for windows), just to be able to create a simple window (for most games programming that is all that is needed) and how the windows messaging system works.

Good luck and have fun.

There's plenty of good 2D engines, just search for what you're looking for and I'm sure you'll find it. As for libraries, I like using Allegro and SDL. Allegro is more focused on 2D and some basic 3D, but SDL is a little more than one should try to take on at first. Good luck and hopefully you're as determined as the rest of us. Stay dedicated and you'll eventually make it!

Not hard at all. When I started learning C/C++, I coded a simple yet useful tilemap engine. It didn't have scrolling or anything like that, but all of that stuff came fairly quickly (within a month or two).

I suggest using Dev-C++. Go to cppgameprogramming.com and check out the tutorials. It'll help you with the basics.

Quote:
Original post by meshounah
is there any 100% free engines(i don't want to buy a license)
Both of the ones I already linked, HGE and The PopCap Framework...

If you're looking for 3d you could try Irrlicht, or if you're willing to do more of the work yourself OGRE 3D which does graphics only.

If you're actually looking for a library to work with rather than a fully developed engine you could try SDL or SFML.

Everything I've mentioned there is freely available.

Quote:
how hard would it be to create my own simple 2d tile engine?
Not overly difficult if you've already got a grip on your language of choice, although it may take you a little while to get used to working with whatever graphics API/library you decide to use. If that's the path you wish to take I would strongly recommend working with SFML or SDL. SFML has tutorials on setting up the libraries and getting started with either Visual Studio (which I would highly recommend if you're developing on Windows, you can get the 2005 Express Edition for free) or Code::Blocks (which uses the MinGW port of gcc and is also free). Remember though, Write Games, Not Engines; you're probably not experienced enough to know how to build an engine or what to put in it yet, so you're better off working towards a tile-based game and then generalising your code to make an engine later if that's what you want to do.

Quote:
Original post by KG_Brad
I suggest using Dev-C++.
It works, but it's pretty old , hasn't been updated for a long time and lacks a lot of the features of the better tools that are available.

-------------- Build: Release in test ---------------
Compiling: main.cpp
5 [main] ? 3488 init_cheap: Couldn't reserve 3600084 bytes of space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 487
C:\cygwin\lib\gcc\i686-pc-cygwin\3.4.4\cc1plus.exe (3488): *** AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x61790000, RegionSize 0x3F0000, State 0x10000
5 [main] ? 2220 init_cheap: Couldn't reserve 3600084 bytes of space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 487
C:\cygwin\lib\gcc\i686-pc-cygwin\3.4.4\cc1plus.exe (2220): *** AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x61790000, RegionSize 0x3F0000, State 0x10000
5 [main] ? 4080 init_cheap: Couldn't reserve 3600084 bytes of space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 487
C:\cygwin\lib\gcc\i686-pc-cygwin\3.4.4\cc1plus.exe (4080): *** AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x61790000, RegionSize 0x3F0000, State 0x10000
5 [main] ? 3344 init_cheap: Couldn't reserve 3600084 bytes of space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 487
C:\cygwin\lib\gcc\i686-pc-cygwin\3.4.4\cc1plus.exe (3344): *** AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x61790000, RegionSize 0x3F0000, State 0x10000
5 [main] ? 2428 init_cheap: Couldn't reserve 3600084 bytes of space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 487
C:\cygwin\lib\gcc\i686-pc-cygwin\3.4.4\cc1plus.exe (2428): *** AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x61790000, RegionSize 0x3F0000, State 0x10000
6 [main] ? 2728 init_cheap: Couldn't reserve 3600084 bytes of space for cygwin's heap, Win32 error 487
C:\cygwin\lib\gcc\i686-pc-cygwin\3.4.4\cc1plus.exe (2728): *** AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x61790000, RegionSize 0x3F0000, State 0x10000
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

i'm confused i can't even compile hello world with CB

This topic is 3736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.