Voice Recognition and Mouse Movement Recognition algorithms

Started by
6 comments, last by VotaVader 16 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I'm new and I'm not sure if this post should be in this forum, but it seemed right, so sorry if it's not. The problem is I'm trying to do a game that requires some sort of voice recognition algorithm that either let's the player initially record a key word that she will have to say each time she wants to trigger a specific action, and then be able to recognize when she does (via a microphone). This would work sort of like those voice-operating security systems that recognize if it's the right voice saying the right words. I also wanted to implement a system that could detect certain patterns of movement from the mouse to trigger specific actions, much like the one in the game Darwinia from Steam. So for example, when the player clicks and drags the mouse to form a triangle over the screen, the game would know it, and behave accordingly. I wanted to see if anyone knows of any algorithms already designed for theese purposes and that could be used in a game or if anyone could help or orient me in creating one of theese? Any help is much appreciated.
Advertisement
There is a Speech SDK that is developed by Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5e86ec97-40a7-453f-b0ee-6583171b4530&DisplayLang=en
It can be a bit tricky to use, but just look at the samples and play around with it. It's very cool once you get it working!

Good luck
Daniel
I think you would require to implement an artificial intelligence for those purposes. Don't know darwina, but generally it's AI's work to recognize voices
Quote:Original post by xibo
I think you would require to implement an artificial intelligence for those purposes. Don't know darwina, but generally it's AI's work to recognize voices

Darwinia implements the mouse movement recognition.

Quote:Original post by D_Linden
There is a Speech SDK that is developed by Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5e86ec97-40a7-453f-b0ee-6583171b4530&DisplayLang=en
It can be a bit tricky to use, but just look at the samples and play around with it. It's very cool once you get it working!

Thanks for the tip. Trying to get it to work... Still looking for the mouse movement recognition algorithm...
Machine vision might be an area worth exploring for mouse recognition (plot the points from the stroke into a buffer, feed that to a pattern recognizer after perhaps cleaning it up). I did something like that for a class in college; it wasn't great, but it might be a good starting point.

You might also look for handwriting recognition information, as the concepts can probably be lifted.
I think what you are looking for is mouse gestures, a pattern of mouse movement is recognised and something is executed.

* iGesture Open Source Java framework for pen and mouse-based gesture recognition.
* Java Swing Mouse Gestures Open source pure Java library for recognition and processing mouse gestures.
* LibStroke is a stroke translation library in C/Java
* Lipi Toolkit Open source toolkit that supports recognition of arbitrary pen and mouse-based gestures as well as handwritten characters.

For voice recognition (speaker independent) , it would require you to train some software (HTK toolkit is the one i've used), HTK uses Hidden Markov Models to recognise speech patterns.

Hope this helps
It may be worth your while to read Mick West's article on stylus control.
Quote:I think what you are looking for is mouse gestures, a pattern of mouse movement is recognised and something is executed.

Yes, something like that. I noticed that something like that is also aplied in Black & White 2 for the different spells that you can do with the hand and that are linked to a specific mouse movement pattern.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement