Normal Mapping

Started by
1 comment, last by b3rs3rk 16 years, 7 months ago
hi guys, i started working with HLSL and i noticed that i need normal map texture to pass it in my effect to get the good lighting results, my questions are : 1- how do i create these normal maps ?? 2- if i have an object with 5 textures do i need to have 5 normal maps or what ?? thanks alot for any help, Cheers,
Advertisement
One easy way to generate normal maps is to use the Nvidia normalmap and DDS plugin for Photoshop. Your results will vary depending on the source texture you use, but sometimes it does the trick. http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html

As for your second question, you only one want one normal per surface. A surface can only have one normal, after all.
Quote:Original post by MJP
As for your second question, you only one want one normal per surface. A surface can only have one normal, after all.

If the textures are different, also the normal map changes. Naturally this is not true if you want to use a default normal map for all your surfaces...

a PLANE has only one normal...but after all, normal maps are useful when you want to fake more normals where they aren't (like on a low-poly mesh).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement