Infinite object games in 2D

Started by
41 comments, last by Edtharan 16 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by Logodae
Setting aside the question of how this can (or can't) be done, my question is: why? What would this level of simulation get you, in terms of gameplay?

The way I see it - the more objects can interact [this does not refer to pixel sized objects but to all] the more creative choices for the player.

Take the simple case in a 3D First Person Shooter:
You need to hit an enemy hiding behind a wall.
When these games first came out there was no way to hit him - now you can make bullets, discs and what-not bounce off walls.
If you had more types of interactivity between objects [and what better way than make it more general and flexible] the gameplay would increase immensly. [Of course you would also need to find 'holes' that tip the game balance which would become a much more difficult task].

Kest, I agree with you about your last post - this is a project that can be started now with the future held into account.

As for the hardware debate, I never intended to talk about the GPU and his friends [smile], only mentioned them as examples but sure.

Quote:Original post by Kest
Your theoretical idea doesn't serve much of a purpose.

No man! It's awesome! [wink] A few years from now. A few years..

The video card has it's own processor because we needed to do heavy math on it, specifically for rendering polygons. If we need extreme computation to render sounds, you can bet there would be one on the sound card as well.
There is no gameplay card because the CPU IS the gameplay card. And it should already blow away most GPUs.

You might want to google about a Physics Card as I've seen an article about it long ago as well as a decent video about it, seems really cool.
EDIT: Or maybe just follow the link JBourrie supplied on PhysX.

The reason the GPU seems so powerful is because it was engineered to do exactly one type of job, and that's all it does.

Sounds reasonable. This will probably end all of these video cards/proccesing units when you can get 4 CPU's on one motherboard.

Wouldn't my goals be easier to reach with a couple of CPU's installed?
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by JBourrie
Not necessarily. Most current physics systems fall apart when too many objects collide at once.

I'm not suggesting physics simulations can't become more insane, but that most games aren't even employing the current level of it. Half Life 2 is a great example of how more physics does not equal more gameplay.

Quote:Original post by origil
When these games first came out there was no way to hit him - now you can make bullets, discs and what-not bounce off walls.
If you had more types of interactivity between objects [and what better way than make it more general and flexible] the gameplay would increase immensly. [Of course you would also need to find 'holes' that tip the game balance which would become a much more difficult task].

Was that the point? That more processing power can lead to better physics calculations? Isn't that obvious? Or was the point that we should build specialized cards to deal with physics? We already have those. So what was the point?

Quote:Wouldn't my goals be easier to reach with a couple of CPU's installed?

I have no bloody idea what your goal is [smile]

But I'll just stop distracting you and leave you to it.
Armadillo Run is awesome.

">Proof.
Just remember that there is a point where the simulation stops mattering. You dont need to simulate everything
to get the same end results. And it is that end result your players judge. If they can't tell how you did it, it doesn't
matter if you cheated. If they can see a performance hit due to their actions, they are going to be upset.
Simulations slow down the more you throw at them, and a player WILL throw everything they can at the simulation.

1) Take what you are simulating, and think "What does this add to the game?"
-I want a coffee cup with coffee in it! (LOOKS!)
-I want containers with liquid in them! (Looks, but could be gameplay)
-I want 'The Incredible Machine!(tm)' (prolly gameplay.)
-I want grenades with powder, ignitors, casings!( gameplay)

2) Take that 'addition' and think "What was the end goal?"
-Realistic look
-Puzzles with fluids
-Puzzles with physics
-Customizable weapons

3) Take that 'end goal' and think about how you can do it without the simultion
-Good effects modelers

-Good object model(fluid level, container shape, formula for tilt+level -> spillage)
Good effects, and places where the objects actually interact vs places where the objects just create spillage effects on the ground.

-Obviously just use physics (like the armidillo run game linked)

-Come up with tables/formulas just like any rpg for figuring out the size, shape, power, and effect of the new weapon.

4) Now sit back and think "what would simulating this add?"
-NOTHING
-Interesting effects of complex shapes that couldn't be easily faked unless the world's puzzles were totally
static in design.
-Not really doable without simulation
-NOTHING!

5) Now that you know what simulating it ADDS, think about what is easier to do: simulate? hard code interactions?
-hard code in some effects
-probably simulate if you want complex / evolving puzzles, else just hard code effects if you already know what all the puzzles will
behave like.
-simulate!
-hard code. EXPECIALLY since the end results are dicated by the interactions the world accepts.
Come up with relations to the formulations that allow you to inject things into the rest of your simulation while still skipping
the step of simulating the weapon.
I'm not suggesting physics simulations can't become more insane, but that most games aren't even employing the current level of it. Half Life 2 is a great example of how more physics does not equal more gameplay.

True, every feature can be misued. But in many cases it also leads to better gameplay.

Was that the point? That more processing power can lead to better physics calculations? Isn't that obvious? Or was the point that we should build specialized cards to deal with physics? We already have those. So what was the point?

The point was a small generalized comparison to the question earlier asked of how a simulation would add to the gameplay.
The gap between the old FPS games and between the ones of today also has a lot to do with the object relationship/interactivity. [Bullet didn't bounce off walls, now the do]
This is the same gap with today's FPS games and my idea.
[Bullets bounce off walls but walls will USUALLY never break - for example. Yes, maybe a game already does that, but this is a part of the idea. More could be done as well]

Quote:Original quote by KulSeran
1) Take what you are simulating, and think "What does this add to the game?"
2) Take that 'addition' and think "What was the end goal?"
3) Take that 'end goal' and think about how you can do it without the simultion
4) Now sit back and think "what would simulating this add?"
5) Now that you know what simulating it ADDS, think about what is easier to do: simulate? hard code interactions?

Thanks, you hit the point there.
It's true that going to far with it will lead to a slow game hardware-wise, that is why the balance needs to be found - as well as design it for future hardware which seems like an interesting task especially for hobbyists like me that usually design with today's technology and once finished are 10 years back in tech.

As for the gameplay, I think it would add a lot to the game if done correctly.
Again -> it would incorporate a lot of player creativity because a good flexible design can do a lot more than hard coded ones.
If the player knows every object has a 'maximum heat' attribute in which it turns to liquid he can try melting materials with his flame thrower.
As for the coffee example, turn this into barrels filled with gasoline, let the player tip the barrel, the gasoline will spill and maybe be ignited by the player. Throw some water inside the barrel, you would have more gasoline [less flamable though]
The grenade example would allow interesting weapon customization, as well as many side-effects the designer didn't think of but that still could be used by the player.

Take worms, lemmings, super mario, sandgames and the incredible machine, stir them in a bowl and you will have a very interactive gameplay enviroment for the player.
Now instead of having one solution to the puzzles presented to the player, he/she/it will be able to use the many object properties as can be done in real life.

The questions you present are good.
My answer is as flexible as the idea:
It depends how they are used in the game.
Some games will benefit from this while others won't.
The bottom line is that a flexible design will lead to many more game possibilities than hard coding features.
Wether these possibilities add to the game, that's the game designer's job.
I believe I can incorporate them into a decent game.

The "Infinite objects" idea is the theoretical part - meaning we will never get there.
But increasing the amount of game objects is the practical part that can be supported by today's hardwares as well. The question is how many more objects because obviously [to me at least] more objects, if done correctly, will lead to a richer game experience.

I think this debate lies in a problem of terminology.
Take into account that there is no difference between hard-coding and simulating. There is a thin line between them that is defined by each person differently.
If I make every pixel an object you might call it a simulation, I might call it hard coding pixel objects because each of these pixels has 1,000,000 molecules that I didn't take in to account.

Everything can be broken into more pieces - eventually the smallest pieces will be hard coded no matter what, because as been mentioned earlier we don't have a complete grasp of the universe be it using quantum physics or the atom model.
The question is, which will the smallest piece be in a game.
While some objects will not gain from defining each pixel, others will.
Quote:The gap between the old FPS games and between the ones of today also has a lot to do with the object relationship/interactivity. [Bullet didn't bounce off walls, now the do]

this is more of a marketing thing than processor related. Tee main reason we have things now days (like bullets bouncing off walls) is because each new game has to add something new to the gameplay.

You couldn't sell a game that said it is exactly like Doom, only with better graphics (well maybe you could. I don't know :D ).

Because of this, new games add in these extras to make it (seem? :p :D ) more interesting. They could have had bullets bouncing off walls in doom (the calculation needed can be found in any high school physics textbook - angle of incidence = angel of reflection and all that).

Quote:[Bullets bounce off walls but walls will USUALLY never break - for example. Yes, maybe a game already does that, but this is a part of the idea. More could be done as well]

Well they have had breakable glass in games for a long time. So, instead of a "Glass" texture, they could put "brink" instead and you would have the same thing. The question is: If they can do it, why don;t they do it more? Maybe it doesn't add that much to gameplay, or more likely, is that it makes level design too complex?

Quote:It's true that going to far with it will lead to a slow game hardware-wise, that is why the balance needs to be found - as well as design it for future hardware which seems like an interesting task especially for hobbyists like me that usually design with today's technology and once finished are 10 years back in tech.

Yes, if over done it would lead to slowdowns. But good level design can reduce that problem too.

In 2001, Red Faction was released. In this game you could dig through walls. If Moor's Law held true (which afaik it more or less has), then by now computers should be around 16 time the power. Why then have we not seen a similar level of advancement in the ability to dig through walls in games? The most likely answer is that it makes level design (and therefore the ability of the designers to give the player a certain game experience) too difficult, or that it does not give a reasonable increase in the desired gameplay.

This is why it is a marketing phenomena, rather than a technical phenomena. Games will be designed and built to match the expected desires of the players (sometimes they get it right and sometimes they get it wrong). If they match the design to the player expectation, then the game becomes popular, if not, then it doesn't sell as well.

Many of the effects that you seem to desire in games can be "emulated" today, but these aspects don't seem to be what the majority of players are interested in. Simulating these effects rather than Emulating them will not increase their popularity (except in some circles - those who buy games for their technical achievement rather than for playing them).

As for the gameplay, I think it would add a lot to the game if done correctly./quote]
Most players don't care how something is done. They only care what it looks like and how it effects the gameplay.

Simulating how real objects work and interact only is useful if it has meaning to the player. So if simulating (rather than emulating) it make the game more visually appealing or adds some tangible gameplay benefit, then it might be worth while including it. If not, then it is wasted development time and computational power.

Quote:Again -> it would incorporate a lot of player creativity because a good flexible design can do a lot more than hard coded ones.

No, sometime a simulated system can be more restrictive. In a simulated system, because of the high level of interactivity, the results become chaotic. This means that small errors vy the player can have big changes down the line.

Take for instance a puzzle where a player has to blow up a tower to form a bridge over a river of lava. In the simulated system, you would want to simulate every brick in the tower as this would make the tower's fall more realistic. However, in doing so, you can not be certain that the tower will fall in just the right way to allow the player to make the bridge (the tower might break in half, fall in the wrong direction, or the explosion might have been in slightly the wrong place and the tower doesn't fall at all).

Now. Consider this in an emulated game where it is hard coded so that in the player places the explosives in a specified area, it will trigger a scripted event to knock the tower over as a single entity and make it fall in the exactly the right place to make the bridge.

In one, the player will always be able to advance further into the game because the tower will always form the bridge. In the other, they player might not be able to proceed because of the complexity that arises form the interaction of the many different objects in the simulation.

Quote:Take worms, lemmings, super mario, sandgames and the incredible machine, stir them in a bowl and you will have a very interactive gameplay enviroment for the player.

Just having an interactive environment does not automatically create a fun game. The real world is extremely interactive, but it is not necessarily a fun game. It is how you structure the elements the player can interact with (and the player can interact with static objects like walls - eg: they can't move through them), the Level Design that is important, and a complex simulation (as we have seen) can actually hinder the construction of an interesting level.
Take worms, lemmings, super mario, sandgames and the incredible machine, stir them in a bowl and you will have a very interactive gameplay enviroment for the playe Now instead of having one solution to the puzzles presented to the player, he/she/it will be able to use the many object properties as can be done in real life.

But solving problems in real life is generally less fun than solving them in games.

You might have fun building something in The Incredible Machine, but when presented with a real box of random objects, most people would not enjoy trying to turn them into something functional. The Incredible Machine presents a simplified version of reality, which is easier to understand and manipulate.

I think that's part of what makes games fun -- the fact that they're relatively simple systems, which can be understood much more completely than reality. This allows the designer to create puzzles that are just challenging enough to be fun -- because they know everything the player can use to solve them, and they also know that the player knows those things.

The more possibilities you introduce, the harder it will be to balance your game. Puzzles may be too easy, because you've overlooked a possible solution, or too hard, because the solution that seems clear to you isn't so clear to the player.

I think there's room for more simulation in some games -- Little Big Planet looks like it could be an excellent demonstration -- but it will take careful design work to enable that simulation to make those games more fun, rather than less.
"Sweet, peaceful eyelash spiders! Live in love by the ocean of my eyes!" - Jennifer Diane Reitz
You might want to take a look at cortex command: http://www.datarealms.com/
I understand where you're coming from now. You threw me off at first with the comparison to rendering polygons and the intent on doing it in 2D.

You want a world where physics and object relationships mimic those of real life enough to allow the player to use real world laws to win the game, rather than using hardcoded game designer laws to win the game.

I think the biggest restrictive aspect is player input. We don't have practical neural plugs, yet. I have a hard enough time giving my players enough input commands to reload and change firing modes, let alone giving them the capacity to pickup and squirt toothpaste into the eyes of enemies, or throw marbles onto the floor to trip them.
I will be replying to the key point of your post the way I see it:

Quote:Original post by Edtharan
Just having an interactive environment does not automatically create a fun game.

Show me one feature that can "automatically" create a fun game.
I merely presented an idea that if implemented correctly can yield great results. Games don't build themselves, neither do they design themselves - will it be hard to design such a game? Possibly. Impossible? No.
Yes, it is a well known fact that many features are not implemented in the game industry even though they can be,
but this is mostly due to the fact that the industry usually doesn't like taking risks and prefers using the old and working formulas over and over because it is a safer investment.
This is where indie developers come in.
I dislike the approach of: "If it hasn't been done before there must be a reason."

As for:
"Players only like this and that, so you shouldn't try to implement this feature".
As long as people drink red-bull and listen to crappy songs on the radio I will have to disagree.
"Players" are often 'stupid' and will fall for marketing tricks/trends while others will look for quality.

But solving problems in real life is generally less fun than solving them in games.

There is much room for debate - what makes your argument valid from some perspectives is the fact that in real life in order to solve a problem you usually can't lazily move your right hand and click on a mouse to solve and magic...
There are obviously more reasons but I don't think complexity is always one of them.

I think that's part of what makes games fun -- the fact that they're relatively simple systems, which can be understood much more completely than reality.

That's a pretty large generalization.
Maybe that is what you like in games - I personally like both complex chess and super-mario.
I also enjoy playing basketball in real life where the 'system' is so complex I wouldn't be able to calculate wind speed/air pressure/etc when I shoot for the basket...
Programming is fun as well... I enjoy the challenge.

Well, I can stretch the post about a mile more, but this is all getting too philosophical and I feel my idea is just being supressed by generalizations.
I should probably post here if I have a non-innovative MMORPG idea :P...

I think the biggest restrictive aspect is player input.

True, that would definitely restrict but I think it will just be a part of the learning curve. Took me time to get used to FPS games where you move with keyboard and aim with mouse.
The mouse gesture system used in Black & White and Mozilla firefox can be used nicely to solve some of these issues.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement