Infinite object games in 2D

Started by
41 comments, last by Edtharan 16 years, 6 months ago
Quote:
Quote:Original post by Logodae
I think that's part of what makes games fun -- the fact that they're relatively simple systems, which can be understood much more completely than reality.

That's a pretty large generalization.
Maybe that is what you like in games - I personally like both complex chess and super-mario.

Those are both simple systems. Anyone of normal intelligence can quickly learn the rules of chess, and understand them completely. The complexity of the game arises from the many possible board configurations, and the need to predict your opponent's moves. It's not a simple game, obviously. But everything you do is based on a very simple system of allowable moves. You don't need to think about whether you should set your opponent's pieces on fire, or try to knock them off the board with a squirt-gun, or take out the king by setting up a domino effect of falling pawns.

Quote:I also enjoy playing basketball in real life where the 'system' is so complex I wouldn't be able to calculate wind speed/air pressure/etc when I shoot for the basket...

The "system" of real life is incomprehensibly complex. But the "system" of basketball, the rules of what you can do, is very simple. Sure, the physics of you throwing the ball, or trying to catch the ball, would be complicated to simulate. But it's simple to you. You have the equivalent of a physics card running in your head. You don't need to consciously think about which muscles to activate to put your body in the right place so that you can reach with your hands (remembering to activate the muscles to extend your fingers) to put them in the place where you've calculated the ball is about to be.

You just run and catch the ball.
"Sweet, peaceful eyelash spiders! Live in love by the ocean of my eyes!" - Jennifer Diane Reitz
Advertisement
Back to the beginning of the topic.

You can't use the CPU/GPU power used for grafics to calculate phisics. It's a complexity problem. I don't know for sure which is exactly the complexity of drawing trigangles, but I'm sure that if it is O(x), phisics would be, at least, O(x^2).

Thas means that if you take 10ms to draw 1 polygons, it will take 100ms to draw 10.
But if you calculate the phisics of 1 object it will take 10ms, 10 objects would take 1000ms.
Quote:Original post by origil
Quote:Original post by Kest
I think the biggest restrictive aspect is player input.

True, that would definitely restrict but I think it will just be a part of the learning curve. Took me time to get used to FPS games where you move with keyboard and aim with mouse.
The mouse gesture system used in Black & White and Mozilla firefox can be used nicely to solve some of these issues.

If so, then I overestimated the whole concept. I had the impression that you were trying to give the player freedom beyound the designer's limited imagination. There's no way the designer can pre-program mouse gestures for activities that are not pre-designed.

If you're suggesting the mouse gestures be used for incredibly simple actions like pickup, squeeze, thrust, throw, swallow, and thousands of other possible actions, it's going to be nightmarish to do anything complicated.
Quote:Show me one feature that can "automatically" create a fun game.

I agree that there is no "automatically" fun features that can be added to a game. However, this does not mean that there are no features that if added to a game can't make it less fun. For instance: if the player's avatar actions were determined randomly (a feature to simplify controls) and the player themselves had no control over their avatar's actions, this would automatically make the game less fun (as the player is no longer "playing" the game, but just watching it like they would a TV).

Including this feature would automatically make the game less fun, but giving the player control over their character does not automatically make the game fun. Badly implemented controls: complex control layouts, too many controls, inability to configure the controls, etc can effect how "fun" the game is even if you give the player control over the character.

Besides, the existence of even a single feature that always created a fun game would not invalidate my point: That some features will reduce the amount of fun a player has in a game.

Quote:I merely presented an idea that if implemented correctly can yield great results.

The key words here are "Implemented correctly". Nowhere have you even indicated what you mean by that.

Better physics simulation can mean more variety in gameplay. But more variety in gameplay does not mean a better game.

An example: In an RPG you need to buy food. You have a choice of 3 types of food: Bread for 10 gold and reduces 100 hunger points, Meat for 200 gold and reduces 200 hunger points and Trail rations for 50 gold and reduces 50 hunger points.

Now we have more variety here because the player has 3 choices. But, does this enhance the fun the player has. If what they are looking for is a better simulation, then yes it does enhance it. But if what they are looking for is an interesting game, then as there is no real difference between the options, there is no real enhancement of fun.

Quote:Yes, it is a well known fact that many features are not implemented in the game industry even though they can be,
but this is mostly due to the fact that the industry usually doesn't like taking risks and prefers using the old and working formulas over and over because it is a safer investment.

But what you are saying is that if "implemented correctly" then it will be more fun. This means that player will like it and by adding the feature then it will make the game better and therefore more popular. If so, then this is no risk in adding in the feature.

So, if you have any idea how to implement such features correctly, then there would be no risk to implementing them. Unless of course, such features do not add any significant amount of fun to the game experience, then it would still make it a risk to add it (but if there is no real increase in fun, then it is not needed in the game and you can just leave it out).

Quote:I dislike the approach of: "If it hasn't been done before there must be a reason."

I agree, unless a reason can be stated (as I have done - one of level design complexity in the case of better physics simulations). Just saying "there must be some reason", without having some idea why it wasn't implemented means that you haven't though about that feature much at all. If there is a reason, then you should be able to figure it out (time is usually a big one, as is complexity - as complexity increase the time needed).

Quote:As for:
"Players only like this and that, so you shouldn't try to implement this feature".
As long as people drink red-bull and listen to crappy songs on the radio I will have to disagree.
"Players" are often 'stupid' and will fall for marketing tricks/trends while others will look for quality.

There is always room for innovation. However, innovation can't just be undirected. Putting a feature in "just to be innovative" is bad design. It means that you are not thinking about your players. You are treating your players as if they don't matter. This is bad design.

We make games, not to show off to other game designers, but so that people can player them. Therefore it should be obvious that we should design games so that players can play them.

Any feature we add, we must be able to justify its inclusion by how it contributes to the player experience. A case in point is the AI system in oblivion. In this system it would calculate activities going on in the background and implement them in the game world. There might be some involved assassination plot, or something, but all the player sees is some dead guy in the street. If the player has no chance to interact with that background story, then what is the use of including it in the game. It even runs the risk of negatively effecting the player in that the target of the assassination plot might be someone that the player needs to continue the story.

This can be fixed by flagging any essential NPCs as "unkillable", but then this is a break in the "realism" of the simulation. It would be a bit like in the example in my previous post about the tower that needed to be blown up. If all non essential towers obeyed the physics laws, except that the tower that needed to be blown up only followed the scripted events. The mismatch between them will confuse the player (they might have experience blowing up other towers, but when it comes to the scripted tower, because it doesn't react as they have learned, they will get confused and it will break the sense of realism (which was the purpose of including the physic is the first place).

Quote:That's a pretty large generalization.
Maybe that is what you like in games - I personally like both complex chess and super-mario.
I also enjoy playing basketball in real life where the 'system' is so complex I wouldn't be able to calculate wind speed/air pressure/etc when I shoot for the basket...
Programming is fun as well... I enjoy the challenge.

Chess is actually a very simple game. 6 types of pieces and their rules on how they move and capture enemy pieces. A game board 8 squares by 8 squares in a chequer board pattern of white and black. You could fit the game design document for chess on a single sheet of paper.

Now, think about the physics needed to allow you to play a game of chess. You have electromagnetics, gravity, particle physics, etc, etc. This would take up whole libraries (and we still haven't fully described the "rules" of physics that would allow us to play chess - not to mention the biology of the players).

So as you can see. The game of "Chess" is actually extremely simple compared to the physical world in which the game of chess is played.

Or even compare it to a turn based strategy game on a computer like Civilization. Compared to this Chess is extremely simple.

Quote:Well, I can stretch the post about a mile more, but this is all getting too philosophical

Not philosophical, theoretical. What you posed was a theoretical problem. And as such we are addressing it on that basis. You haven't given as a concrete example where you are implementing this in an actual game. Until you do that we have to discuss it on theoretical grounds. Besides, I have given some fairly concrete examples of why adding in complexity to a game is not necessarily a good thing.

Quote:and I feel my idea is just being supressed by generalizations.
I should probably post here if I have a non-innovative MMORPG idea :P..

Well since you haven't given as a specific situation in which to discuss, we have had to resort to generalisations. Each implementation of a feature is unique, so it is impossible for us to discuss a specific as the results from that won't necessarily apply to another situation. If you can provide us with the game design you are implementing this in and how your are implementing it, then we will just have to keep discussions as generalised and theoretical.

And we arn't just "suppressing" it. We are discussing it. We are trying to explain that what you have proposed is nowhere near as simple as you think. That there is a lot of complexity and problems with what you propose.

You presented this subject for discussion. In the discussion, we are not just going to say "Oh, that is so great, you are so amazing". We are going to discuss it. That means that we will disagree with you.

We are not "suppressing" you, we are discussing the topic you presented.

Presenting an idea is good. Presenting an innovative idea is even better. But, the most dangerous thing you can have for an innovative idea is for everyone to be a "yes-man" and not attempt to discuss the difficulties and problems that can arise form your innovative idea. No one person can see all the problems that arise from implementing it. If nobody raises objections, how will you know what problems lie in wait to stop your idea from being implemented?

If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.

Negative feedback about an idea is the most valuable thing you can have (and the more innovative your idea the more valuable this feedback is). We are not suppressing your idea, but are giving you the opportunity to refine your ideas and to make them better. If you want to throw that away, then it is your own loss.
Quote:
I think that's part of what makes games fun -- the fact that they're relatively simple systems, which can be understood much more completely than reality.

That's a pretty large generalization.

Those are both simple systems.

As you said: Relatively simple.
I presented you with 2 games where one of them is relatively much more complex than the other.
Just trying to say that complex games are not necessarily less fun.
It's a matter of preference.
Just as a programming competition could be fun for some.

Quote:
The "system" of real life is incomprehensibly complex. But the "system" of basketball, the rules of what you can do, is very simple.

The rules in basketball are as simple as in my game:
You can't go through walls, you can't do this, you can't do that.
Only in basketball you can do anything else.
In this anything there are many more options than you think.
These include touching the ball from one angle to give it a spin and all the way to use the floor to bounce the ball inside the hoop.
Oh, don't forget to tie your shoes and not to step on sweat stains.
Be careful from illegal moves where a player might hit your leg and bruise your muscles, this will affect the rest of your game.
Also - try to block your opponent's vision with your hands when he tries to shoot....
The complexity depends on your creativity. You can even use psychology in this game.

Quote:
Sure, the physics of you throwing the ball, or trying to catch the ball, would be complicated to simulate. But it's simple to you.

Are they so simple? This debate is heading towards psychology and learning patterns.
It's simple to me because I have been practicing for years.
If you'd play my game for years it'd be simple for you too...
Can you throw and catch with your "weaker" arm? Not everyone can.

Quote:
You have the equivalent of a physics card running in your head. You don't need to consciously think about which muscles to activate to put your body in the right place so that you can reach with your hands (remembering to activate the muscles to extend your fingers) to put them in the place where you've calculated the ball is about to be.

No, I don't need to think in order to throw a ball. But I sure did when I picked it the first time I saw a basketball.
And I sure will need to think the first time I learn a new type of dance/sport/whatever.
Play my game 3 times a week for a couple of years and you will be able to master it without thinking. It will no longer be complex. You will be able to unconsciously do almost anything.
It is all relative.

Quote:You just run and catch the ball.

You just hit a few keys on the keyboard - just as I typed this sentence and it took me a couple of seconds instead of minutes to find each key...

Quote:Original post by Kest
If so, then I overestimated the whole concept. I had the impression that you were trying to give the player freedom beyound the designer's limited imagination. There's no way the designer can pre-program mouse gestures for activities that are not pre-designed.

You are right, there is no way the designer can pre-program mouse gestures for activities that are pre-designed.
There is also no way to give the player freedom beyound the designer's limited imagination.

Now there are 2 types of people in this case -
1. People that tell you why you can't succeed and that you are wrong.
2. People that try to think how to succeed and how to change that wrong.

Instead of trying to defend the idea I wanted to brain-storm here with the help of others, I will leave it at that.
I can also find 200,000 reasons why my idea can fail - I don't need this forum for it.
But I can also find 200,000 reasons for why any idea in the world can fail.

The problem is finding the ways to make it work - and I am sure these exist because this idea is already being done on a smaller scale.
There already are games that allow more freedom for the player as well as games that allow more flexibility.

Have games reached their limit in these 2 field - I doubt it. Can they reach infinity? Not yet, but they can reach a higher level.
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!

It all happens on the GPU within the video card.
So take this none that happens on the video card and make it play with the game mechanics.
Call the video card a game mechancis card instead if it'll make my point more valid..
You'd be surprised how complicated the simulations for realistic racing games currently are. Some of them actually do model the car as a collection of components connected together - brakes, gearbox, engine, suspension may either be individual components or broken down even further
Yeah, a lot of this is being done, but is far from the depth and flexibility I am talking about.

www.gamemotive.com
Quote:Original post by origil
There is also no way to give the player freedom beyound the designer's limited imagination.

That's not what I was implying. And it's not true. There are many ways to design elements that will allow players to do things that you didn't count on.
I don't have the time to read all the replies but I did find your point interesting. Putting the player in an environment where everything interacts could allow for some incredible freedom and creativity. However, you wouldn't be calculating this on the video. Aegia (sp?) now has a physics card on the market which, I would imagine, could handle most of what you wish to achieve.

The way you describe it isn't entirely practical though. Let's say I want to fill a bullet shell casing with gunpowder. Filling it with 20 identical gunpowder objects would be a horrible waste of resources, especially since there could be tens of thousands of rounds present simultaneously in a single battle. Not only that, how would all those rounds be manufactured? I suppose you could create a blueprint once an object is created, but it still seems like a lot more trouble than the average player is willing to go through just to get a bullet.

Still, I like the idea. If you'd like to look into weapons that could (possibly) be easily constructed in a system of interacting components, check out the gauss gun, coilgun and railgun.
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Quote:Original post by Edtharan
Quote:Show me one feature that can "automatically" create a fun game.

I agree that there is no "automatically" fun features that can be added to a game. However, this does not mean that there are no features that if added to a game can't make it less fun. For instance: if the player's avatar actions were determined randomly (a feature to simplify controls) and the player themselves had no control over their avatar's actions, this would automatically make the game less fun (as the player is no longer "playing" the game, but just watching it like they would a TV).

Including this feature would automatically make the game less fun, but giving the player control over their character does not automatically make the game fun. Badly implemented controls: complex control layouts, too many controls, inability to configure the controls, etc can effect how "fun" the game is even if you give the player control over the character.

Besides, the existence of even a single feature that always created a fun game would not invalidate my point: That some features will reduce the amount of fun a player has in a game.

As you can see you are arguing with yourself about this part.
I said: "Show me one feature that can automatically create a fun game".
This means they don't exist [almost]. Thus, validating your point that my feature must belong to that category as well - just like MOST features.
This is why your comment was negative unconstructive criticism.
Every idea can be implemented badly - I am already aware of this, no need to argue.

Quote:
Quote:I merely presented an idea that if implemented correctly can yield great results.

The key words here are "Implemented correctly". Nowhere have you even indicated what you mean by that.

Nope, I did not indicate precisely nor did I bring up a full design document.
I was hoping you could help me with that; brainstorm a bit, find ways to get closer to this goal - and you have every right not to do so and to instead keep telling me how not to do this.
That choice is up to you, obvisouly.

Quote:
Better physics simulation can mean more variety in gameplay. But more variety in gameplay does not mean a better game.

That's true.
Just like so many features and 'things' in the universe we live in.
More can be less.

Quote:
An example: In an RPG you need to buy food. You have a choice of 3 types of food: Bread for 10 gold and reduces 100 hunger points, Meat for 200 gold and reduces 200 hunger points and Trail rations for 50 gold and reduces 50 hunger points.

Now we have more variety here because the player has 3 choices. But, does this enhance the fun the player has. If what they are looking for is a better simulation, then yes it does enhance it. But if what they are looking for is an interesting game, then as there is no real difference between the options, there is no real enhancement of fun.

Nope, it doesn't add much.
This is something I will try not to implement in my game. I am glad you pointed this out?

Quote:
But what you are saying is that if "implemented correctly" then it will be more fun. This means that player will like it and by adding the feature then it will make the game better and therefore more popular. If so, then this is no risk in adding in the feature.

There is always a risk, you can't jump to that conclusion.
If I had a perfect idea I would not present it here.
I would already be hiring 10 programmers to implement it.

Quote:
Quote:I dislike the approach of: "If it hasn't been done before there must be a reason."

I agree, unless a reason can be stated.

A reason can always be stated. That is the easy part - finding the reason not to something.
You post here to debate. I post here for thoughts and ideas to improve an idea.

Quote:
There is always room for innovation. However, innovation can't just be undirected. Putting a feature in "just to be innovative" is bad design. It means that you are not thinking about your players. You are treating your players as if they don't matter. This is bad design.

There is no design yet. You are critisizing something that doesn't exist yet.
There is brainstorming. And there is me trying to brainstorm while there is you trying to drive me away from it using ideas you came up with derived from my general idea.

Quote:
Quote:Well, I can stretch the post about a mile more, but this is all getting too philosophical

Not philosophical, theoretical. What you posed was a theoretical problem. And as such we are addressing it on that basis. You haven't given as a concrete example where you are implementing this in an actual game. Until you do that we have to discuss it on theoretical grounds.

You are not here to discuss. You are here to negate.
You are enjoying the debating game while I am trying to dig out fresh ideas.

Quote:
Besides, I have given some fairly concrete examples of why adding in complexity to a game is not necessarily a good thing.

That's good. Doesn't get me anywhere. It can bring us to an infinite argument though. Good job.
I can give you 50,000 concrete examples of how mixing materials will not create an atomic bomb.

Quote:
And we arn't just "suppressing" it. We are discussing it. We are trying to explain that what you have proposed is nowhere near as simple as you think. That there is a lot of complexity and problems with what you propose.

If this idea was simple I would be implementing it already.
This is why I came here. To find solutions. See the opening post:
"Where has this been done before" - Share your thoughts.

Hearing how something can't be done has never helped innovations.
When engineers are asked to develop something they can either say:
Nope, can't be done because of.
Or: Maybe if we do this and that...

Quote:
You presented this subject for discussion. In the discussion, we are not just going to say "Oh, that is so great, you are so amazing". We are going to discuss it. That means that we will disagree with you.

Or you can try and think of how it can be done instead of spending your efforts on arguing to death.

Quote:
We are not "suppressing" you, we are discussing the topic you presented.

Presenting an idea is good. Presenting an innovative idea is even better. But, the most dangerous thing you can have for an innovative idea is for everyone to be a "yes-man" and not attempt to discuss the difficulties and problems that can arise form your innovative idea. No one person can see all the problems that arise from implementing it. If nobody raises objections, how will you know what problems lie in wait to stop your idea from being implemented?

You don't need to worry about the dangers of everyone being a "yes-man".
So far there are 0 yes-men. This means I am the only one contributing to this idea while everyone else keeps shoving the "problems" in my face.
I am perfectly aware of the problems, these are easy to find.
It is the solutions that are hard to find.

Quote:
If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.

That is true when debating - the thing you are doing.
But is not true when you ask for help and thoughts of how to improve.

Quote:
Negative feedback about an idea is the most valuable thing you can have (and the more innovative your idea the more valuable this feedback is).

Negative feedback is good for a complete and based idea. Not general ones - because you are 'attacking' specific ideas I did not come up with.
These ideas you are 'attacking' just belong to the general idea I mentioned.

Quote:
We are not suppressing your idea, but are giving you the opportunity to refine your ideas and to make them better.

This is no longer my idea. Nor was it ever. It exists in other games and could use some help in making it better.

Quote:If you want to throw that away, then it is your own loss.

Yes, I would like to brainstorm and search the solutions for how this idea can work. Not how it will fail miserably - this comes later after there is a better design. How will there be a better design? Not by listing every possible way of how not to do this.
This I don't mind throwing away.

Now the question is: What did I look for when I posted here.
Did I look for answers such as "you are amazing, we like your idea?".
No.
Did I look for "Your idea can't work because..."
No.
None of these will bring me anywhere.
Your posts are pointing to the obvious problems of why such an idea can fail.
This is negative feedback that won't help me.
Negative feedback is good for mature ideas.
"You should fix this, do that"

If you would like to participate with bringing this idea to life feel free to contribute.
Think it can't work no matter what - why bother post about it? Let me waste my own time.
The Department of Next Life - Get your Next-Life Insurance here!
Quote:
This could be applied in 2D or 3D but as 2D is simpler I will head towards the 2D direction.

Why not just use text then?

How about a game basied on debateing on messageboards? Politics, religion, nothing would be taboo. With goals like getting the AI "opponents" to start a flame war, link whatever is being discussed with nazisam, etc. Or even the potental of changeing the AI's opinion on a particular matter! If you can model a full coffie cup at the molecular level then something like a debate game should be possable too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement