Sign in to follow this  

Need Advice Computer Game Design Course In University

This topic is 3734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am about to start my course in University of East London, and i kinda need help to choose the minor or joint course that would support computer game designs, here is the course and all the combinations that can go with it, i would like to choose a minor or joint course that can support game designs in the future but also opening up some possibilities of working in other industry. http://www.uel.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/combined_honours/Games_design.htm and i am currently at the moment taking computer games design and a joint course with digital arts and moving image, which is discribed as more film based as well as games, a lot of work with photoshops and cameras i think http://www.uel.ac.uk/programmes/ava/undergraduate/summary/digitalartsmove.htm i am currently deciding if that is the right choice, since a professor suggested it, but he is a graphic design professor, not a game design one (cant seems to find the game design one anywhere) if someone can give me some advice it would be great,

My advice would be that you need to couple a game design degree with something, because the game design degree itself will be practically worthless. You'll have a degree, but it won't give you any knowledges that can be applied outside of game development. A game designer should have strengths outside of game design itself to supplement his knowledge of game design. I, for instance, got a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Graphics Technology, specializing in 3D Animation. Because of this, I am able to provide an extra angle to game designs from our lead designer, who has a degree in Creative Writing.

What other facets of game development do you enjoy? A designer who only knows the theory of game design is damn near useless.

this is why i am doing combined honours, this allows me to expand to more than just games, currently it is digitals arts and moving image, which have to do with films, pictures and such. there is also animation which i can take, which does what the name says, "animate". i just want the best options that i can combined with game designs through university

i would like to get more into the creation of the game models, but at the same time having a degree that would allow me to work in more than jsut the game industry

By 'games design', they obviously mean 'design as applied to games', which is not the same thing that we typically mean by 'games design'.

If you're interested in level design, constructing maps, that sort of thing that typically straddles the design and art departments, it'll be fine.

This topic is 3734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.