College courses?

Started by
6 comments, last by Avatar God 16 years, 7 months ago
I'm a level designer, or should I say mapper? My skills aren't great but they are getting better. I have been mapping for about a year now, and I'd like to get a job as a level designer and work my way up to a lead designer (I realize this is the equivalent of moving to California as an actor and hoping to be the next Steven Speilberg) but first I want to get an education. What kind of courses should I take if I want a career in level design?
Advertisement
Whatever you're interested in. Art history and architecture, maybe some anthropology, might be beneficial, but really it's up to you. "Level design" isn't a course of study (unless you go to one of those scam schools that advertises about tightening up the graphics on level three...), so you should focus on getting a solid, well-rounded education on topics that interest you.

You can apply any number of educational topics to level design.
I agree with jpetrie. There are a variety of majors that can help you become a better level designer - Animation, Civil Engineering, Architecure, Underwater Basket Weaving, Physics, Psychology, Sociology and more.

Don't lock yourself into level design specifically.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
0.o Underwater Basket Weaving? What's that?
All my posts are based on a setting of Medival Fantasy, unless stated in the post otherwise
Heh, I always joke about taking basket weaving. I didn't know they offered an underwater version.

And, on topic, I would suggest Tom's site, specifically Lesson 3 (there are many other related articles worth reading there, but if you're serious about this, I think you will better know what advice to look for than I do).
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Yes, FAQ 3 discusses the sort of learning necessary to become a lead game designer. But it doesn't discuss level design at all, and OP asked: "What kind of courses should I take if I want a career in level design?" That's a different question (not answered by FAQ 3). For level design, OP would need to learn 3DS Max and other game level-editing tools, and should probably take some basic programming courses.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have to go with jpetrie on this one also. Take courses that interest you as well as those key ones which you're likely to apply during your career as a level designer (history, architecture, animation, etc.).

More importantly, don't focus too hard on only the mapping aspect. That's only one of the jobs that game designers are faced with. For example, knowing the basics of storytelling and suspense is helpful because creating a good level or mission relies on these foundations.
To be more specific, learn everything you can about becoming a game designer in general, not just one that maps. Broaden your profile with other creative pieces. I say this because a typical day of a level designer will differ greatly from a lead designer's.

hope this helped, good luck! :)
Quote:Original post by tsloper
Yes, FAQ 3 discusses the sort of learning necessary to become a lead game designer. But it doesn't discuss level design at all, and OP asked: "What kind of courses should I take if I want a career in level design?" That's a different question (not answered by FAQ 3). For level design, OP would need to learn 3DS Max and other game level-editing tools, and should probably take some basic programming courses.
I suppose I shouldn't have assumed that he already knew that part!

Yes - you're certainly going to need your 3DS/Maya classes, level design classes, and modeling courses, but you certainly should consider taking a much wider range of courses - especially if you want to be able to advance past the basic work:
Quote:Original post by Taran Shiro
To be more specific, learn everything you can about becoming a game designer in general, not just one that maps. Broaden your profile with other creative pieces. I say this because a typical day of a level designer will differ greatly from a lead designer's.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement