How to evaluate Development Vendor

Started by
12 comments, last by FlashChump 16 years, 7 months ago
I have a new role as an associate producer at a publisher and one of my first tasks is to find a 3rd party Developer company. How do I go about evaluating these vendors? What kind of questions should I ask them?
Advertisement
You can ask about previous projects, approximate cost per man hour of production, missed/made deadlines, stumbling blocks they've had and how they've overcome them, and where they seem themselves heading over the next few years.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Thanks zero
Quote:Original post by FlashChump
How do I go about evaluating these vendors? What kind of questions should I ask them?

Check out the powerpoint of the talk I gave at the Serious Games Summit last year. I think it's on the Serious Games Summit website. If it isn't, email me (don't PM me, you don't know when or if I'll ever see it - my email address is very easy to find) and I'll send you the link.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I assume that as an AP you are working for a Producer. An important trait for a good team member is to ask questions when you don't know something - you should ask your Producer what processes your company goes through. They almost certainly have a due diligence process (at least I would hope so).
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Thanks Tom, I found it: https://www.cmpevents.com/GDsg06/a.asp?option=C&V=1&PV=2

Whats a NDA? Non-Disclosure Agreement?
Obscure,

We are in the process of hiring an Executive Producer. We have a VP that has experience in these matters but I like to do my homework before approaching my superiors with questions.
Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Question - What's your background? Where are you working as an AP? I'm curious, because things like an NDA are standard in the game biz.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Zero,
Just a month ago, I was a Flash developer. As you have noticed, there's a lot for me to learn.
Quote:Original post by FlashChump
Just a month ago, I was a Flash developer. As you have noticed, there's a lot for me to learn.

Well, read some more. Read the Biz/Legal white papers on IGDA. Read article 42 on my site. Join the Producing SIG on IGDA. And I recommend "Introduction to Game Development" (Rabin) and "Secrets of the Game Business" (Laramee).
Read Gamasutra. Subscribe to GameBizDaily, or is it GameDailyBiz, whatever.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement